Metrosheriff
Rvrrat
RJFlyer (btw: Great Reply)

People who "DON'T Get it"
Rick1128
furloboy
B1900DFO
flydog

Just remember, "A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing!"

JetPilot500,

What a classy post!!!!!!!! Once again, people state their opinion, and you can now judge them, Kudos.....

AAflyer

AA Flyer,

Chill dude!

My point was to basically point out that I agree with some of these people. I too believe that the unions had better start playing ball here, especially at UAL. They can bury their heads in the sand as long as they like, but the fact remains that UAL is in serious trouble....no matter who's fault it is. By saying, "It's not my fault, therefore I will not help management solvle this problem," is not gonna fix a darn thing.

It doesn't matter who was/is right and who was/is wrong. If the employees of this company (Unions) do not start helping out, UAL will go by the way Eastern and Pan Am. I sure hope that doesn't happen, because A LOT of people will be affected, not just the UAL employees.

Yeah, who wouldn't like to make $150,000 per year? But $100,000 per year sounds a lot better than that Unemployment Check!

Airline Pilots are Highly Educated people. It is time to start acting like "Educated Professionals" and start leading by example. If the pilots don't set the example, the FA's and Mechanics are unlikely to follow...then NOBODY wins. Why not try being the employee group who "Saved the Company!"

He who dies being right, is still dead!
JetPilot500

I know what you're getting at but this sort of statement is tiresome. Why 100K? Why not 80K? Some folks will say the same thing about 50K. If I wanted, I could move to Nebraska or some other of the more affordable states (not necessarily a bad thing) and live on my miliary retirement and still pay for food and electricity. But I want more.
The number $100k was thrown out there by flydog, I just used his example. Using a number is better than speaking about money in the abstract. You can want more until you're blue in the face, but if the company doesn't have more to give, you may just get nothing.

I want more to do more and to give more. If my current income was cut to 100K I wouldn't be able to do what I do--for myself or for others. I get tired of reading blanket statements from folks that in effect make 100K look like the end-all in terms of income.
So you'd rather keep making your $150k (or $200k or whatever it might be) until the company folds so you can keep "doing what you do" than give up some and make the necessary adjustments, so you'd continue to have a job past today? Good luck with that plan.

It ain't. Still you're right--folks should live within their means. And for some folks that is 20K. For others it is much more.
And if all that's coming in is $50k, there are adjustments you can make in order to survive. See my original post for some examples.

My point is that if your company is struggling to survive and the single best way to cut costs is through labor, is it not better for everyone to make a little less and everyone keep their jobs, than everyone keep making their fat checks and the junior guys (who make considerably less anyway, so more need to go) get canned? I agree that poor management is largely to blame, but looking back and pointing fingers doesn't solve today's problems.

JetPilot500 said:

UAL will go by the way Eastern and Pan Am.

Wait a minute. EAL and PAA can't be gone. Their pilots gave tons of concessions. After all, that's all it takes, isn't it? That's why TWA is currently the industry powerhouse.

Don't get me wrong, there are examples when employee concessions are necessary. This may be, and probably is, one of those occasions. However, we cannot, and should not, just give mgt a blank check to squander as they see fit. I have seen it too many times in my life (dad at EAL and me at TWA before DAL). Concessions without a business plan changes nothing except the size of our wallets. They are not the magic elixer that everyone seems to think that they are.

I think that ALPA has always been a pretty responsible union, and is usually (unfortunately?) the first employee group to agree to concessions. In my experience, I have found the IAM to be a different story (the following is merely an opinion based on personal experience dealing with certain inefficient and burdensome workrules at TWA, as well as the EAL debacle). That is not to say that their method is wrong, sometimes I wish ALPA was more tough.

I would suggest that we give ALPA a little more credit, based on their track record of agreeing to help at countless airlines in the past. I have no doubt that, even as I type, the UAL MEC is very hard at work determining how to best serve their pilots and their airline. They know that one cannot exist without the other. They also know that giving a blank check to a lame duck CEO without a business plan is not in anyone's best interest.

I assure you that their goal is not to kill the airline as some seem to suggest. Do you really think that they are that stupid? Can you name me a single airline that has ever failed due to pilots making above industry standard wages?

PS
May I also add that once again I am disappointed at the amount of pilots on this board (and throughout the industry) who have such a low opinion of their own worth as pilots.

Jetpilot,

I take umberage at your posting of who got it and who didn't. I did get it. Maybe you didn't. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than the public will ever know.

You talk about leadership. Unfortunately, there is no real leadership within the company managment either. The UAL pilot group looks at the past. Groups like US Airways, TWA, Eastern, Braniff, Pan Am and Continental. They also look into their own company's past. They see a lot of give backs. They also see the management not giving up anything. They also see managment wasting money on all sorts of schemes.
The pilot group in the past has and to my knowledge continues to suggest efficencies to the company. And offering 'side-bars' to the current contract to help the company. These 'side-bars' can be and are situation specific. These can save significiant amounts of money. But the company in the past have thrown them back at the pilot group.

You guys talk about a 33% pay cut and peoples' pay being cut by $50,000. To the UAL pilot group, it isn't really about the money. It is about the CONTRACT. They have sweated blood, sweat and tears over that contract. They have gone on strike and walked the picket line over the contract. Before they or any other pilot group agrees to 'give-backs' they are will want to see the real books, not the Arthur Andersen books. They are going to want to see a real plan, not pipe dreams and management fantasies. They will want to see what management is willing to give up.

Like in 1978, the industry is going through many gut wrenching changes. But to blame one group or another for a company's problems is not the solution. Industries are either capitial intensive or labor intensive. The airline industry is one of a very few that is both. And being so makes it slow and difficult to change course. But making one side of the coin do all the changing is counter productive. Both sides need to change and do so in unison and concert.

____________________________________________________People who "Get it"
Publisher
Metrosheriff
Rvrrat
RJFlyer (btw: Great Reply)

People who "DON'T Get it"
Rick1128
furloboy
B1900DFO
flydog

Hey, can you put me down on your "DON'T Get it" list. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"So you'd rather keep making your $150k (or $200k or whatever it might be) until the company folds so you can keep "doing what you do" than give up some and make the necessary adjustments, so you'd continue to have a job past today? Good luck with that plan."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I didn't explain myself very well. I am furloughed. I still make what some folks would consider a butt-load of money. What wears me out is the guy with half a mouth of teeth and an eighth grade education who thinks that anyone who makes $100K ought not to want for more if he can get (earn) it (regardless of the job). I can and I do.

I do not think that employees ought to kill their companies with greed. That is stupid. Neither should companies treat their employees unfairly.

Personally, I have, do and will make necessary adjustments every day in every aspect of my life--thank you very much.

Good luck.

Hey, will somebody send me a PM and tell me how to pull quotes?

As a precursor to my next statement, I admit that I have not read UALs documents of corporation and do not know if the stock shares the employee-owners hold are voting shares or not. I will continue to be crass enough to presume they (the employee-owners shares) are votable

The 55% of stock the employees own of UAL are non-voting stock, therefore the employees do not vote on management decisions. That 55% gets the employees a WHOLE two members on the board out of twelve total board member.

Latest resources

Back