Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Returning from overseas job to work in US - Restrictions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Duck94

Does anybody know if you go to work for a foreign carrier and then you want to come back after a year or two, is there a time restriction on being hired by a part 121 US carrier because of the carrying of US Mail?

Somebody I talked to said it's a two year wait to get cleared to carry US Mail which is required by all US 121 carriers....

The only company that has such a restriction that I am aware of is FedEx, apparently in other companies that do carry mail, since the pilots cannot access the area where the mail is carried then is not an issue.

Thanks. That makes sense. And there's basically a snowball's chance in heck of getting hired there, so no worries I guess.

I got this information third hand so do verify it if FedEx is your target company, but a friend of mine said that you can obtain the clearance but there are some steps you need to do through the state department, it requires an Interpol background check and it depends on what country you were at and so forth.

Does anybody know if you go to work for a foreign carrier and then you want to come back after a year or two, is there a time restriction on being hired by a part 121 US carrier because of the carrying of US Mail?

Somebody I talked to said it's a two year wait to get cleared to carry US Mail which is required by all US 121 carriers....

I believe where you report for work is not an issue, it is where you live and call your permanent home. If you commute to a foriegn domicile for a foriegn employer but still live and pay taxes in the US it should not be an issue. Be consistent and carefull about what you report to different agencies/entities.

Latest resources

Back