Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cpt. Underpants

Super Hero
Does anyone know the name of the restaurant off the approach end of 25L at LAX where the vintage aircraft are on display? Name, history of the aircraft there etc., would be appreciated.

Thanks

In-n-Out Burger? .... or is it off the end of the 24s?

All I know is you go right by it from the Radisson in Culver City.

Dunno about the approach to 24, but some years ago (when I was still into planes and flying) I'd rent a car and drive up to Santa Monica.

There you would find a burger place close to a museum that used to be the old Douglas Commerical factory.
(Spitfire Grill meh thinks the name was)

Enjoyed the quiet times in the museum and the "no-tourist" atmosphere.

Nowadays the whole thing may be bulldozed for shopping malls and condos.

As for next to LAX:

Across the street from the Hacienda Hotel on Sepulveda Blvd, there is an "airline" shop that sells nostalgic models, magazines and old kits.
(Airfix and Revell "glue-em-yerself" kits from the 60s and 70s...Aye, good old days)

Had some LAX lay-overs in March 2005 and enjoyed the airline shop, but did not have space in the suitcase to pick up a DC-7 or 880 kit to take home.

Spitfire Grill is/was on the south side of SMO. "DC-3" is/was next to the museum on the north side of SMO. DC-3 is, as a Pacific Flyer restaurant review once put it, for the people who ride in the back of the Learjet, not the front. Rather pricey!

Yes, that's In-And-Out just under the short final to LAX 24R at the intersection of Lincoln and Sepulveda. Great place to sit and watch and occasionally experience wake vortices.

Always liked the Mariposa coffee shop at the Hacienda. Used to live and work near there when I was with Hughes Space & Comm, plus go there for an airline collectables show (lots of model kits and aftermarket mod kits and decal sheets) every few months. Now that show tends to bounce between the Hacienda, the Proud Bird, and one of the hotels on Century.

The answer is.... The Proud Bird, or at least that is what it was originally called. Bob Six, the former CEO/Chairman of Continental Airlines was a part of the original group that opened the resturant in the late 60's, thus the name "The Proud Bird" which in those days was a Continental slogan as in, The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail. the food was forgettable as I recall.

Spooky 1 said:
in those days was a Continental slogan as in, The Proud Bird With The Golden Tail. the food was forgettable as I recall.

i always thought it was the sad bird with the brass a**. :)

Ah, the Wild Goose, a great place. There used to be another fun place for lunch nearby, I believe it was called the Jet Strip, on Hawthorne Blvd, east side of the street, just a bit south of 107th Street, as I recall.

But my favorite one of those kinds of places is The Lodge in Dallas.

Wild Goose is still there. Frogs on Hawthorne Blvd in Lawndale is sadly long gone. Their bikini mud wrestling nights will not be forgotten.

Another favorite dive near LAX was Toes Tavern, next door to The Shack over in PDR. Always liked their motto: "Warm beer, lousy food, rude service." The place was quite schizo--surfer dive by day, aerospace engineering nerd hangout by night.

Another great 24-hour coffee shop nearby is The Kettle on the corner of Manhattan Beach Blvd & Highland in Manhattan Beach.

The food's been hit or miss over the years at the Proud Bird. The years 1998 to 2001 were certainly a miss. They used to do a great beer cheese soup. Ah but the view...

Latest resources

Back