• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
Captain Duane Woerth
President, ALPA

Dear Captain Woerth,

Your essay, “Never Forget, Never Quit” in the December ‘04 issue of Air Line Pilot Magazine has convinced me to resign from ALPA. For your information, but more for the benefit of my fellow ALPA pilots, who may not realize just how far ALPA national leadership is removed from reality, I am going to explain my objections to the reasoning in your December essay, and my reasons for resigning.

At the beginning of this essay, you discuss the acute awareness of ALPA’s Board of Directors at the October assembly in Florida: “. . . acutely aware that our profession is at a crossroads. One path leads to a world of pilots undercutting each other in a race to the bottom, scrambling to hold on to an ever-diminishing piece of the pie. The other path leads through darkness over rough road to a hard but attainable recovery.”

As one of the many USAirways pilots who have taken a fair share of our profession's collapse, I certainly agree we have been racing to the bottom. Now you go on to describe how the delegates and ALPA board concluded the only path to follow is the trail blazed by ALPA’s first president, Capt. Dave Behncke: “. . . was Franklin Roosevelt’s closest advisor on aviation . . . wooed Congress around the clock, helping to pass legislation that institutionalized our economic strategy . . . ALPA’s special relationship with Roosevelt led to pilot pay increases . . .”

So this is it? This is the secret of ALPA’s success? A “special relationship” with the President of the United States and Congress? Well, heck, Duane, what are you waiting for? Call George Bush and tell him (on our behalf) you’d like to be his special friend!

Pardon my sarcasm. Your essay continues, describing how over the decades, airline management shifted its methods, but their goal remained the same: “. . . to split pilots from one another. Today, airline brands employ elaborate strategies to get pilots who work for separate companies to compete for work on a ‘lowest bid’ basis. Of all the challenges vexing us in the first years of the 21st century, this is the greatest. If we accept the status quo, the race to the bottom will continue.”

Now comes the crux of your essay, when you propose your solution: “But if we join together, some group of pilots within one brand will develop a prototype model that stops the bleeding. If ‘necessity,’ indeed, is the mother of invention, we have all the ‘necessity’ we need to invent that new model.”

YGTBSM! (You’ve Got To Be **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ting Me!) THIS is your proposed solution? That some clever group of pilots within one brand (I assume a “brand” is an airline like mine?) will develop a prototype model that stops the bleeding? Hmmm. I thought you just said the secret to ALPA’s historical success was to make friends in high places in order to get Congress to pass legislation that institutionalizes our economic strategy!
Near the end of your piece, you speak of standing shoulder to shoulder as one group. You write that we cannot fail the giants who came before us. Even though you have just made it clear that you are waiting for some pilot (“brand”) group among us to come up with the prototype model that stops the bleeding. You boldly proclaim: “We’re going to start right here, right now, to show the world that the 21st-century pilots of ALPA do have the right stuff and understand the power of unity.”

Coming from you, Duane, this is an empty rallying cry. In truth, your entire essay is full of euphemisms and empty words. First you offer us the irrelevant historical model of Capt. Dave Behncke, with his special relationship with Roosevelt which helped ALPA get legislation passed to protect our profession’s economic well-being, but then say our only hope is that some group of pilots from one “brand” will come up with the prototype solution we can unite behind. I have never read such vapid, disingenuous poppycock!

The fact is, you aren’t friends with the president, and there will never be unity among ALPA members as long as we negotiate as separate (“brand’) entities, each ALPA MEC representing itself in the face of a calculated and industry-wide assault by management, driven by the leaders of capital (Wall St.), and supported by the Bush Administration.

UNITY: An industry-wide, ALPA-supported suspension of service (SOS) remains our only hope to send a message to Bush, Wall Street and the American people, and the only effective way to halt the destruction of our profession. But that would take ALPA leadership, starting with you. As a first step, I suggest you take the same 50% pay cut that I have taken over the past three years, and give up your pension, too. That will send me a true message of unity and solidarity, and convince me to stand by you and fight.

Not going to happen? Don’t worry, I didn't think so. That’s why I’m quitting ALPA.

Other reasons I’m quitting ALPA: You and your fellow ALPA-national bureaucrats lost sight of the fight long ago, while you voted yourself obscene salaries, retirement and Beltway perks. Meanwhile, we got decimated. How can you in good conscience accept a salary of $412,728, luxury vehicle, full medical/dental, and an extravagant retirement? Just who do you think is paying for it?

I am. Me and my fellow dues-paying ALPA members. And you know what, Duane? You haven't earned it. You don't deserve it. None of you at ALPA national deserve it. You have failed us, you and all those at ALPA who over the past two decades chose the path of a gutless, passive "association," instead of acting as a courageous national union.

An army without a unified plan—and the courage to execute it—cannot survive in the face of a coordinated attack. We have long been a collection of separated battalions, each fighting their own fight, and shamefully for some, guilty of hoping that the other's demise would save its own skin. "For whom the bell tolls" has never more eloquently applied to a group facing a common enemy. Sadly, we are divided . . . the enemy nearly victorious.

Now I will get to the crux of my letter. I am resigning from ALPA, and publishing my reasons, because I hope to start a landslide of resignations that hurts ALPA where it counts the most: in the pocket. I believe ALPA national needs to feel the same pain we feel, and that won’t happen until a huge number of us vote with our feet, denying ALPA the income stream that allows you to remain comfortably out of touch with our reality.

When ALPA is tottering on bankruptcy, when the association is in financial crisis, only then will the message be heard: your strategy is impotent. No individual group of pilots among us is going to come up with a “prototype model” that defeats management. The only way we are going to win is with true unity: all of us acting as one, at once.

The Power of One: this is our only hope.

When you and your fellow travelers have gone, when the president of ALPA earns what the lowest-paid ALPA captain earns, when he is without full medical/dental, when he has no retirement . . . this will be the man who leads us in a nationwide suspension of service—the only way to make the public, President and Congress share our pain, take notice of our plight, and the only way to fight back against the current legalized assault by airline management against our profession.

SOS—the only way to stop our profession’s death spiral.

“Never Forget, Never Quit” you say at the end of your essay. I will never forget that you failed us, and I will never quit fighting. Regretfully , I do hereby resign from ALPA.

Sincerely,

James L. Hayhurst
ALPA #0628206

Paying dues is just the beginning not the end......

How much do you contribute to ALPA PAC

How much do you participate in ALPA affairs...

And finally, there is a reality of the world we live in.....

Airline pilots don't run airlines...... they only control airplanes...

You have some valid points in your post....however do you expect ALPA to serve you?

ALPA isn't a silver bullit, a wonder drug. You are writing to ALPA in protest cause they are the only ones that will listen to you. What about resigning your employment in protest... guys are doing that too. You just threw away the only resource you got. Then again, some tools can't fix all the problems

You can be mad, point fingers and blame or you can understand what is going on......

Good Luck....

Last edited:
I should probably point out that I am not James, but I agree with everything he says in this letter. This is a re-post from another source. Radical solutions for radical times..........

I don't think resigning from ALPA means you get to stop paying dues. I think most ALPA carriers are agency shop or something like that. Basically, if you quit you still have to pay dues, and if you don't pay due's you will be fired. At least that is the way I understand it.

I agree with what he says though.

If a vast majority of us refused to pay dues until our leadership makes a stand do you really think they would fire us all? I hardly think any airline is in a position to be able to afford that. Management would just look the other way. SOS is the only leverage WE have left in our arsenal but we need to come together as a whole to give any teeth to it. We need leadership from national, not continued silence.

Well Said Sir

I love how ALPA will now try to convince the bankruptcy court and the PBGC that the pensions should be wiped out and left for the tax payers. I thought the United guys/gals were the strongest of the bunch and like a deck of cards they fold. I for one don't want to be left holding the bag for failed ideas and greed.

I see your point, and frustration, but lets say everyone at United did what you propose...the SOS (suspension of service).

United strikes, refuses to work, etc, etc. to try to prove a point to management that they have had enough.

Then what?

Management files Chapter 11...again, the judges tear up the contracts and you get paid even less and still loses all benefits. So what has been accomplished?

Pilots are at the mercy of mangement when a company is in Ch11.

imadumbpilotI don't think resigning from ALPA means you get to stop paying dues. I think most ALPA carriers are agency shop or something like that. Basically, if you quit you still have to pay dues, and if you don't pay due's you will be fired. At least that is the way I understand it.

Second...Since when is being apart of ALPA "Manadatory"? There are dozens of pilots at FDX that don't belong to ALPA and don't pay any dues.

PurpleTail said:
I see your point, and frustration, but lets say everyone at United did what you propose...the SOS (suspension of service).

Second...Since when is being apart of ALPA "Manadatory"? There are dozens of pilots at FDX that don't belong to ALPA and don't pay any dues.
It's not, but you still have to pay dues even if your not a "member" The only way you don't pay dues is if you wanted to be a member and ALPA denies you membership.

imadumbpilot said:
It's not, but you still have to pay dues even if your not a "member" The only way you don't pay dues is if you wanted to be a member and ALPA denies you membership.
In "right to work" states you do not have to join the union or pay dues, but you get the benfits of the contract that the union has with management (you get the same pay, benefits and retirement as the union members). ALPA will usually post a list of the pilots that are not in the union and don't pay dues and the pilots that are not in the union and do pay dues on their ALPA bullentin board.

Latest resources

Back