Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

701EV

Has anyone gone from Navy Reserve to Active Duty?

How do you go about doing it?

I know lots of guys that did it, but it was 30 years ago. You want to go TAR or RegNav? Contact the Bureau of Personnel, maybe through a detailer find out what is available and submit your request. I would think right now would be a bad time to do this. The military is in a post- war draw down and looking to get smaller. My experience was during the Regan military build up where they were sending out requests for certain designators to come back on active duty.

Many time they over react in a draw down and within a couple years they are sending requests to come back on active duty.

What is your designator?

Last edited:
I know lots of guys that did it, but it was 30 years ago. You want to go TAR or RegNav? Contact the Bureau of Personnel, maybe through a detailer find out what is available and submit your request. I would think right now would be a bad time to do this. The military is in a post- war draw down and looking to get smaller. My experience was during the Regan military build up where they were sending out requests for certain designators to come back on active duty.

Many time they over react in a draw down and within a couple years they are sending requests to come back on active duty.

What is your designator?

Dude, we haven't used "TAR/RegNav" vernacular in I don't know how many years.

OP I would really think twice about this, for all the reasons Yip mentioned. Unless you're just totally destitute, stay reserve. If you need a little AD pay, volunteer for an IA.

Dude, we haven't used "TAR/RegNav" vernacular in I don't know how many years.

OP I would really think twice about this, for all the reasons Yip mentioned. Unless you're just totally destitute, stay reserve. If you need a little AD pay, volunteer for an IA.
like I said 30 years ago, what do they use today?

Thanks, guys.

My son is an Ensign in the reserves assigned to the Military Sealift Command. He's looking to go AD in aviation. What's funny is the folks in his unit all know folks who have done it, but they don't know who to talk to.

Thanks, guys.

My son is an Ensign in the reserves assigned to the Military Sealift Command. He's looking to go AD in aviation. What's funny is the folks in his unit all know folks who have done it, but they don't know who to talk to.
go to the local Navy officer Recruiter and start from there.

go to the local Navy officer Recruiter and start from there.

Recruiter probably isn't going to give you much of his time, since he doesn't get credit for recruiting someone who is already in.

I would go to my reserve unit CO. Eventually you are going to have to fillout a request chit, and he is going to have to found, recommending approval, so you might as well get him on board early. If you know someone in the community you want to join, contact him and get in contact with that community's detailer.

Recruiter probably isn't going to give you much of his time, since he doesn't get credit for recruiting someone who is already in.

I would go to my reserve unit CO. Eventually you are going to have to fillout a request chit, and he is going to have to found, recommending approval, so you might as well get him on board early. If you know someone in the community you want to join, contact him and get in contact with that community's detailer.
Not my experience recruiters, most are very helpful. They know the ropes also, they also know about the current recruiting environment. They can also point you in the right direction. When I was a recruiter, I put Army and USMC reserves into the Navy flight program. Won't hurt you to contact the Aviation Programs Officer in your recruiting district

Thanks, guys.

Another option:
Look into AF Reserve and Air National Guard units. Most send one or two to flight school per year. He's already commissioned, with clearance, so that saves the unit time and $$$.

It's easy enough to switch services. My former AF reserve unit hired Marines, sailors, Coasties, and Army National Guard folks.

Latest resources

Back