Reserve Unsponsered question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stlpilot

Got a bud who is going for reserve unsponsered next month and we were talking about how long he has to find a unit if he is selected by the reserve board. Apparently his recruiter told him that if selected Reserve command will provide a list of hiring units and he then has to go to the units to try and interview and check things out. But he was wondering if he could "hold out" for a couple months while additional units that were not on the original hiring list might start interviewing for the Fall board. Is this an option for him? Thanks for any opinions.

I think I'm probably wrong, but won't the AFRC assign a unit before UPT based on their needs? My understanding is that an unsponsored packet will be treated like an active duty one in the sense that you do not get a choice in location. I'm probably totally off on that. Vandal, Airgator, and Sonic Cruzer know pretty much everything about this stuff. Fire your question their direction if you don't get any more replies to this post.

Skyward80

Here's what I'm almost positive of:
Once your friend is selected by the March AFRC board, he will then be on his own to interview with reserve units for a UPT slot. AFRC will give him a list of units hiring, but if it was me I would call EVERY single unit in the country of whatever airframe(s) he wants, because I bet there are units that will interview him even though their not on the "hiring" list. It's all about calling up the chief pilot and catching him/her at the right moment. As far as him "holding out", I wouldn't even ask the recruiter if it's possible. (Unless his recuirter is the one in a million that is very familiar with unsponsored UPT packets: Highly unlikely). He's best asking the chief pilots or whoever's in charge of pilot hiring at the various units he'll be calling. I'm sure if he calls enough units and talks to enough pilots someone's bound to know the correct answer to that question.

I concur with airgator on this one.

Latest resources

Back