• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserve at your company.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It shows how inept the "leadership" is when they will waste millions more than they will spend, turning what would be profits into losses in the meantime.

I'm not sure how it's done at Envoy (we've only existed for about 30 hours), but that practice was phased out at American Eagle Airlines a couple years ago.....company viewed the fact that Capts didn't get any time being evaluated in the right seat each year as a liability. For a short time they increased right seat time on checkrides from just a visual approach to a V1 cut, hand flown Single engine ILS, and an aborted takeoff. The added sim time to check off these minimal requirements.

In the end a Capt. Is a Capt.......an FO is an FO.......hope Envoy continues this policy

I know being typed means you're qualified in either seat,

Does not mean you're "current" in that seat necessarily. Be careful. In the 121 world; OpSpec/airline-approved-training program dependent..you are only qualified in the seat in which you were last checked (PC) & for that duration of currency. For example- If you are a CA and have not had seat-dependent training in the sim for over a year..you are probably not qualified to fly from the right-seat. Don't let some idiot at crew scheduling "bully" you into thinking you're good. It's your ticket.

In fact; I recall at 9E years and years ago-- they considered you "dequaled" from the rt seat the moment your butt sat in the upgrade class on day 1. I know because in the upgrade class previous to mine..a few guys washed out and actually had to go take an F/O PC to 'requalify'..even though one guy had an F/O PC the previous month.

In a perfect world--- even if you ARE Rt-seat qualed and haven't flown in that seat for a LOONNG time; you should be able to cite "safety of flight" and say you're not comfortable doing it...and that should be that. Like someone said: CAs should be CAs/FOs should be F/Os. Period. they need to hire enough F-Ing pilots!

Last edited:
They have us do 3 TO and landings from the right seat plus a V1 cut and SE ILS during every PC. So we're legal on paper, but not what you'd call proficient when assigned to fly the right seat.

They have us do 3 TO and landings from the right seat plus a V1 cut and SE ILS during every PC. So we're legal on paper, but not what you'd call proficient when assigned to fly the right seat.

Gotcha. Which regional are you? You say "BBs fun land" I'll assume that's Brian Bedford-- but is he Republic or SKW? It seems the names are consistent in this biz-- just hard keeping up with the companies they move to.

Depending on if you're union or not-- you could check your contract and see if it expressly provides for ongoing dual-qual (and dual-use) for RSV CAs. If it doesn't and the company is unilaterally doing it anyway..you most certainly have grounds for a grievance on behalf of all your RSV CAs. Dual-qualed (and utilized) RSV CAs is not a "common industry practice" as far as I can tell..and certainly not consistent with 'best practices' as they relate to safety.

VX tried this crap when newly-upgraded RSV CAs were still 'current' in Rt Seat and F/O RSV staffing was tight. They would call and say "we've got a trip..and btw; it's as F/O". The expectation of us covering both seats was NEVER disclosed to us..either written or verbally (until blindsided by crew scheduling to cover Rt st). We collectively pushed back and now apparently it's 'optional' for the few guys who are still Rt. seat current (and they'll soon dequal as F/o anyway). We don't train/check anyone other than F/Os and LCAs in right seat.

In short- I feel your frustration..cause I lived it not too long ago.

XJT tried slipping that little gem into the failed TA's language (CPT's could fly up to 20 hours per month in the right seat) and it was one of many reasons the TA failed so miserably. Let's just hope they pull that kernel from the next turd of a TA and fix the loose language and other shortcomings or they'll get another rejection from us.

We used to have to do it here at Compass. We would have new CA never getting off high mins because they were only flown as FO's. Then the FAA shut that practice down since it wasn't safe in their opinion about 4-5 years ago.

Does not mean you're "current" in that seat necessarily. Be careful. In the 121 world; OpSpec/airline-approved-training program dependent..you are only qualified in the seat in which you were last checked (PC) & for that duration of currency. For example- If you are a CA and have not had seat-dependent training in the sim for over a year..you are probably not qualified to fly from the right-seat.

Nope, L-XJT has been doing it for years. Apparently, it DOESN'T matter how long you were out of the right seat, you were STILL "qualified" in the right seat according to them. Wasn't till only recently did they start having CA's do right seat work on the yearly AQP.

In a perfect world--- even if you ARE Rt-seat qualed and haven't flown in that seat for a LOONNG time; you should be able to cite "safety of flight" and say you're not comfortable doing it...and that should be that. Like someone said: CAs should be CAs/FOs should be F/Os. Period. they need to hire enough F-Ing pilots!

I made this argument, with a safety rep in fact. He didn't see it that way. "If you refuse, there will be consequences" was the response. No sh1t, one of those was me ASAP'ing it.

LASA doesn't fly CAs in the right seat, but I can tell you that you have to be checked annually in order to fly from that seat. Ask any check airman how strict the company is about right seat qualification.

Latest resources

Back