Reporters smuggle knives onto 14 flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flipper

This is what happens when screeners spend more time trying to smell crew's breath, instead of their job.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Reporters investigating airport security were able to smuggle small knives and pepper spray through checkpoints at 11 U.S. airports during the Labor Day weekend, the Daily News reported Wednesday.

The reporters carried utility knives, rubber-handled razor knives, a pocket knife, a corkscrew, razor blades and pepper spray through every airport security checkpoint they encountered, the newspaper said.

CBS News crews also tested security screeners last week, although they did not attempt to smuggle banned items through checkpoints. They carried bags lined with lead to block X-rays and sailed past about 70 percent of screeners at several airports nationwide.

"They're impossible to miss, and yet they just continually let it go," said Steve Elson, who used to check security for the Federal Aviation Administration and helped with the CBS investigation.

The Daily News said guards X-rayed and hand-searched its reporters' bags, asked them to remove their shoes and checked photo identifications, but did not find the banned items.

The airports included the four at which the terrorists boarded flights on September 11 last year: Newark International, Boston's Logan International, Washington Dulles International and Portland International Jetport in Maine, the News said.

The other airports were New York's La Guardia and Kennedy airports, Chicago's O'Hare, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Santa Barbara, California.

"We have a lot of work to do," Leonardo Alcivar, a spokesman for Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta, told the News.

Chris Nardella, a spokeswoman for United Airlines, told the newspaper: "That is a violation of federal law that you guys knowingly took those items on an airline."

David Steigman, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, could not immediately say Wednesday whether charges were expected against the reporters.

A call to the FBI was not immediately returned.

The reporters disposed of the pepper spray before boarding to ensure it would not discharge during a change in cabin pressure; the other items were never removed from the bags once inside airport secure zones, the newspaper said.

HEY FITZWELL!!!

Let's see it probably because they weren't flight crews or old ladies. Just goes to show you how are tax dollars are at work.

Hey R. Fitzwell care to chime in on this one. You are the expert after all and the almighty know spokesperson for the TSA here. You can admit that it wasn't because they weren't in crew uniforms or old ladies. Try that again with people dressed up like crews and see what they find.

This crap has to stop and stop now. ALPA needs to step up and step in.

How many here really think they are going to use airplanes to attack again anyway? They are stupid but not that stupid. I am not saying that we shouldn't screen anybody. They just need to be screening the real threat's. Just look at this and see what happened.

They were to busy looking through gramdma's, the captian and the fo's bags. Instead of finding these objects on the "normal looking people". What a joke. Again I say our hard tax dollars at work.

Where are the stupervisors when all of this was going on? They were probably watching there soaps or playing euchre or playing with themselves somewhere.

Security is a joke. They've increased ramp rates at John Wayne for additional security which does absolutely *nothing*. Instead of walking to the planes, we now have to drive to them and have our ID checked.

The guard looks at your ID and pilot's license, rarely looks inside the car and if he does look, he doesn't check the heaviest item, my flight bag!

For all this added securtiy, we are all paying more to rent at the FBOs. Monkies trained to sniff out explosives would probably do a better job.

OK here's my latest - last time it was the dog being hand wanded in TPA and this weeks winner is once again ....... (drum roll) TPA!

As I waited a bit longer than usual for my bag to be scutinized in the X-ray machine, I gave the guy (who makes more than a teacher) a puzzled look about what was taking them so long to look at. Our conversation went like this:

TSA genius: "They found mace in a flight attendants bag yesterday, so we're looking at crew bags a little closer."

Me: "So?"

TSA Genius: "We can't let you guys get through with that stuff."

Me: "Yeah, might save a thousand lives."

TSA Genius: blank stare.

We're on our own for security, this TSA is only here to give the public that warm, fuzzy feeling they need to go flying.

We're on our own for security, this TSA is only here to give the public that warm, fuzzy feeling they need to go flying.

Could'nt have said it better myself.
To make a difference go to www.secure-skies.org and help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSA = Too Stupid to Accept.

If anyone thinks that the new program is even close to stopping another terrorist act, they're ignorant beyond belief.

I say chances are extremely good that it could happen all over again and the ONLY defense we have right now is the experience of the first. Passengers and the flight crew are our last line of defense, not the security checkpoints. That's sad.

Giving up some freedom and accepting some profiling are the only ways to combat it. El Al's had it figured out for some time now.

See who they have hired at the top. Secret Service and Coast Guard retiree's. Instead of hiring experts like SAC security, the German Boarder Police or British SAS. Those people know their jobs. Ever here of a B52 being stolen? Just because they don't care about being politicly correct.

You know something, you guys are right. As a furloughed airline pilot working as an airport screener I have made a decision tonight. I have decided to stop trying. I will make a joke of screening every chance I get. I will tell passengers what I am doing to stop further attacks is a joke. I will look at threats in the X-ray machine and high five the terrorist trying to get it through security. I will collect my whopping paycheck every week and laugh all the way to the bank. What do I care, I'm safe on the ground anyway -- right?

I could care less about the pilots and passengers aboard the next flight ready to depart. I could care less what happens to our system of air travel over the next several years or decades. I am only out for myself. The next time a flight crew member rolls his eyes at me and tells me how stupid my job is and how I am doing nothing to enhance air safety, I will agree and go on break. What do I care. I am already out of work. I already lost my dream job with the airlines. I have already seen everything I have worked for over the last fifteen years taken from me in a matter of a couple weeks.

SH!T -- If the pilots don't care about upholding airport security and the future of air travel -- why should I??????????????????

Well F U C K Y O U!!!! I do!!!!! The people I work with daily do and we are trying to make a difference. Which is completely different from people like dep676whatever and the others that sit back and complain about what is not being done. Dep676, you speak of ALPA's lack of intervention. Are you even an ALPA member? I am and I doubt you are. What have any of you done to improve airport security. What have you done to make air travel safer? Have you written letters to Congress? Have you worked with your airline? Have you done anything? This will not change with a bunch of wannabees bitching on a message board. I am involved. I report to work every morning to do my part to improve the future of aviation. I do it for myself. I do it for my family. And I do it for our future.

Sit back and make a joke of security. Believe everything you hear on FOX News (sh!t they never twist aviation related news stories) and do exactly what you are doing now -- nothing. If more airlines fail due to terrorist attacks, atleast I will know I did what I could to prevent it. You whiners will have something else to complain about. Its called welfare.

Richard Fitzwell wrote:

What have any of you done to improve airport security.

Well, Richard....I have called both my Senators and urged them to cosponsor and vote for S.2554. Guns in the cockpit NOW! That's the number one way to secure the skies....not through HS dropout resident alien screeners. I am not suggesting that you are doing a poor job, but you have to admit that most of your peers are total buffoons.

I urge everyone to call their Senators today!!!

Chunk

I admire anyone who takes pride in their work and fiercely defends it, but these days if HANDGUNS -loaded at that- are still "slipping" by (and those are only the ones that happen to get caught), you have a long road ahead.

Keep up the good work Dick and hopefully there's more of you out there.

Latest resources

Back