Repeal of Age 60 rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Age 60

Age 60 has hit home for me,I turn the big 60 next month. My airline was in ch.11 until March,cut my earned retirement by 73%,cut my pay the last year by 46%. Do I still want to work?No,but I will have to if I want to live the way I thought I was. I still fly a Pitts,still have a 1st class med.,still have a CFI-I and would like to be able to go to work. I will go to flying 91,125 or 135 if the over 60 does not pass and so will most of my friends,that may do more to hinder jobs than anything else. I hope all of you understand what some of us lost and why we will still be out there flying. Mobs

Last edited:
I am truly sorry my friend that your airline career has ended this way. Too many have over the years.

That being said. I've always thought owning a Pitts would be pretty neat. One day, when I upgrade, maybe I too will be able to afford one.

Best of luck in your job search.

Switzerland has a mandatory age 55 retirement. I bet those pilots wish they had an age 60 rule. Everyone knew the age 60 rule when they signed on, and now we have massive unemployement. Just because some airlines have crappy retirement or no retirement doesn't mean the rules should change for everyone. The rule for the President of the United States is only two consequtive terms. I guess we should change that and George W. can be our President forever, right? What else do you want to change now? Do you want to marry your sister?

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: :p :p :p

The rule for the President of the United

...........States is only two consequtive terms.

Slick W actually proposed changing this just last week. Seems he doesn't think it's "fair" that he couldn't run again. ......Aaawh. :^(

General Lee said:
Everyone knew the age 60 rule when they signed on, and now we have massive unemployement. Just because some airlines have crappy retirement or no retirement doesn't mean the rules should change for everyone.

Amen brother. How can these useless politicians support a bill that will further increase unemployment. Almost 12% airline pilot unemployment in the airline industry and they want to pass this stupid amendment.

VOTE NO!!!!!!

Let the union set age 60 or 55

Hey for you union airline guys make your union force retirement at age 60, let the Fed's establish a realistic age of 66 and then the union can set any age they want under it. And those of us who have no retirement until SS at age 66 can continue to work in the 121 bottom feeder industries hauling cargo people charters etc. And we won't brother any of the junior people on the union senority list, promise. I am all for age 66, it could be the greatest birthday present for my 60th coming up in September 03. If I had a real retirement I would probably step down at age 60, but I got nothing. So I will be flying in the 135 business for a few more years, but I would rather fly the DC-9, or our new 757's when they come in.

Just for Aplus9...

Aplus9 said:
I agree with those of you who really don't want to work past 60. I hope I can retire before or by then. I will admit I am not savvy enough on the pros and cons, but I do know I am feeling a lot of LUV from B190's avatar. Thanks B190!

Aplus:D

And I'm feeling the luv of Ms. Erica Burgess (2002 Miss Hooters International) thanks to the poster you left on my frig when you abandoned me at Altus AFB. :eek:

Your poster has gotten many favorable comments from the peanut gallery since it's new home. Thanks for thinking of me. ;)

Yahtz

P.S. The Avator of Candace (from one of the Dallas Hooters) is just for you...and just think we somehow missed her during our visit. bummer :(

Is it hot in here?...

Thanks for improving the board, Yahtzee! Now, what's this topic about...:D TC

P.S.--As for Ms. Burgess, unfortunately, there's some guy out there who's tired of ****ing her...:( :( :(

I don't think she is even close to 60 years of age. Is that the topic? Who cares at this point. Yahtzee, send me the pic, I might be able to get a set of LUV wings on her. Peace.

P.S. U chose 17s, so live with the weekend SIMs, BEEOTCH.

Aplus9:D

Hi!

I read Aplus9's post-he wasn't sure about the issue.

If you're not sure, or you're for keeping the age 60 rule, here is a good way to look at it.

The cutoff point of age 60 was arbitrarily picked by the airlines, and then the FAA.

The could arbitrarily change the age (there is NO medical evidence that at age 60 pilots can't fly as well as earlier).

What if the Age 60 Rule was changed to the "Age 40 Rule?"

Would you support the Age 40 Rule?

If you wouldn't support a mandatory age of 40 for retirment, there is no logical way you can support age 60.

I hope the rule is repealed soon.

Cliff
ELP

Latest resources

Back