Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lownslo

Registered Abuser
Well I just spent 30 minutes browsing the negativity of the regional, cargo, and major forums. There are some bitter FO's out there. I'm looking forward to going to the Air Races in September, if everything works out. My question is - How does somebody get into something like this? I've always wanted to race, but I suppose the biggest hurdle is the cash flow, like anything else fun. Anyone headed out there or have advice for an ambitious 1200 hour want-to-get-into-racing type?

Also about the races - advice on where to stay.. what to do/not to do is much appreciated.

I know what you mean about the other forums. Reno is very cool. I have been going for the last few years. If you have travel privs. and can't get in to RNO try Sacramento, CA, it is only about a two hour drive. Finding a place to stay may be hard. I have had good luck on priceline.com. I stayed at the Hilton one year for $85 a night. Some of the Mom and Pop joints are ok also. Two day at the races are usually enough for me. I try to go on sat and Sunday. I get a pit pass on Saturday and just a gen admission on Sunday because the pit pass goes up in price. I guess I kind of cheap. As far as getting into racing F1 is about the cheapest way to go I think. If you go to the F1 race center you can pick up a role book. Hope you have a good time.
PM me if you have any questions I may help you with.

1. Buy Cassutt or Pitts, depending on if Formula 1 or Biplane class.
2. Go to Pylon Racing Seminar in June
3. Race in September

Easy cheesy, right?

On a related note, anyone here needs their plane raced for them? I should have the minimums by next June :p

Sport class: My office mate races in the Sport Class with the aircraft that is his "daily flyer" (an F1 Rocket). Seems to me that would be one of the best classes. Take a look at the aircraft types that raced there last year. That said, the competition this year is stepping it up a notch, and some of last year's Sport Class racers won't be competitive this year.

Latest resources

Back