Removing seats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rvrrat

Hangar argument: If a person removes seats to make a larger cargo area the aircraft is no longer airworthy.

True? False? Why?

Thanks

False.

I have flown at least two types of aircraft (B-737 and DHC-7) that were "combi" aircraft. Seats were added/removed regularly....in various combinations, depending upon the needs of a particular flight or route. Sometimes it was in a mostly pax configuration, sometimes mostly cargo, and sometimes anywhere in-between.

Without a lot more information it is difficult to give you an accurate answer.

One of the things to be know is type of aircraft. If it is a part 23 aircraft the answer is yes and no. If you just remove the seats and load it up, it is not legal. You need to make a notation somewhere in the aircraft paperwork on the removal of the seats and the change in the weight and balance. The cargo needs to be tied down in an approved manner. And the crew needs to have an usable emergency exit. I have seen a King Air, where the crew crawled over the cargo and the loaders then threw more in and closed the door. That is not legal.

For part 25 aircraft it is much more complex. You have to comply with Part 25 which requires two (2) usable emergency exits. So care has to be given to the loading of the cargo. All the operators I have worked for required a maintenance signoff to change the configuration with a notation of the weight and balance change. They also required the installation of the cargo restraint system and a sign off. Then there is the requirements to meet floor, zone and section weight limits. Yes it can be done but it is not a quick spur of the moment item for Part 25.

The simple answer is that it can be done legally, but you have to jump through all the hoops.

I agree with everything Rick says. Our combi aircraft were specifically designed for this purpose. The seats were on pallets and the bulkhead movable. However, each time the aircraft was reconfigured, it was reconfigured to a specific, approved combination of seats/cargo stations that was reflected in the paperwork and weight and balance.

Part 23 aircraft

The change out would be for a C210 & C310; small operation. Perhaps different aircraft later, specifically ones that are not of club seating configuration.

flx, I've read about the seats on "pallets" set up, would be something to see taking place.

Thanks much!

A lot of charter operators do it. But they usually have W&B's set up for the various configurations. With a cargo net and tiedown straps and hooks, you are just about set. All you would need is a signoff for the configuration change. The 210 and 310 doors are such that emergency egress will not be a problem.

One note. The FAA is coming down on cargo operators on using approved cargo restraint systems. Also you can not use rope. The reason is that since rope does not have a certification tag you don't know what the weight carrying capacity is. And be sure that your straping can comply with at least 9 G's.

Many Alaska operators remove and install seats on a per leg basis. At my company we where trained as part of the approved training program to be able to do this. The 207's have about 15 different accecptable seat configs, the Beech 99 has something like 49 different configs. After each config change we sign it off on an approved form and have a chart for the new weight and balance info. It works well when you go to a village with 1100# of mail and come back with 4 or 5 people in the sled.

Latest resources

Back