Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polarjet205

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what reg(s) other than Sec. 121.589
outlines where or what a passenger can or cant do with their carry on dog that has an approved underseat carrier? We had a small incident today on a transcon 4.5 hour flight where a passenger purchased an extra seat so she could bring her pet out on the extra seat after the flight was at altitude (still in its carrier that was even seat belted in) She opened the top to give her pet some refreshment and attention..the report days the F/A apparently went ballistic spewing that FAA regs state the dog must be under the seat for the entire 4.5 hour flight.. I disagreed, especially since the dog was very quiet and peaceful.. but I had not grounds to back it up other than this reg, with stipulates during ground movement, T/O and landings..

The pax is requesting a refund on the extra seat as it was even stated in the rez that it was for the dog.. the dog was stuffed under the seat the whole time... Don't ask me how I got envolved in this mess, I was asked to research it and get back to mgmt asap..

Just a regulation reference would be great. thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Entertaining read but weird indeed.
Why don't you get a hold of the FA manager and have them explain their f#^^%%* logic. It was on the freaking RES!!!.
Good luck.

Entertaining read but weird indeed.
Why don't you get a hold of the FA manager and have them explain their f#^^%%* logic. It was on the freaking RES!!!.
Good luck.

I agree. That FA was just being a bitch.

Yea, I agreed from the start.. it got a little out of hand when the F/A called the Captain about the problem, they Acars me about it, I got a little smart azz about it.. he did not take it too well, the CP called my boss and there you go.. Im in the middle.. I quoted the above reg.. as the only one I knew of.. but the bigger question was the dog was very calm, only 8 pound toy poodle or something.. the only one being a jerk was the old haggie F/A that should have retired about 45 years ago..

I really am tired of F/A's looking for a power trip over over our paying customers... and I'm siding with the customer on this one.. she should get a refund.. The captian needs to grow some as well and tell her to STFU>>

Boxes pay better and dont complain, dispatch guy.. This is entirely out of the scope of my job.. but need to come up with something to get the heat out of my face..

Last edited:
You might want to look in the Pax handling manual, a carry on baggage manual, or perhaps the GOM has some reference to the do's and don'ts of critters upstairs. My place only allows service animals upstairs, rest are down in the belly, and as I recall, that's referenced in a couple different manuals....

Plus, your carry on baggage program is referenced in your OpSpecs (and therefore becomes a legal document), somewhere in the A's

Critters

Plus, your carry on baggage program is referenced in your OpSpecs (and therefore becomes a legal document), somewhere in the A's

A011 for your reading pleasure...

aH.. Thanks.. A011.. works.. Right now, due to the heat, we are not taking any pets in cargo, As I read it.. animals must be kept under the seat in an approved kennel only when the aircraft is moving on the ground or during T/O and Landings.. but it does not address over bearing F/A's trying to exercise operational control over the cabin.. Guess it couild fall under Passengers must follow their commands... or be thrown overboard..

What does so of your GOM's say about critteres being allowed on a lap of rightfully purchsed seat during cruise flight.. ours is not real specific..

In this case, I suppose any resistance by a pax could have given the F/A cause to file a complaint of an unrulely pax and they could have been arrested..or worse diverted.. Just stupid.
I think this is all covered under customer care and common sense treatment of your bread and butter... boss man backed off when they realized the crew needed to grow a pair and make a on aircraft ruling..
thanks for the help..

Latest resources

Back