• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional selection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got the joke sig, but did you get the irony?

I think the reason you stopped replying to me was that you had no good answers for my questions. Actually, I would rather bash with FDJ's, because he can remain a gentlman with people he disagrees with.

Re: Island Air

Wif said:
For Freight Dog,

Could you post your airlines payscale for FO's and CPT's or point me to a link where I can find that info? Do most of the pilots with families find if difficult to live in Hawaii on regional pay? Interesting that your pilots are home every night; my current job provides that same perk, as well. Not much else, though. Thanks for the info.

The first year FO pay is around $19/hr for 70 hour guarantee for a reserve, bid line guarantee is 85 hours. Quite a few FO's flight instruct while they're on reserve, some other jobs, and it's pretty easy to sustain a second job here if you need one.

Captains are paid around $40/hr as 1st year captain. I don't have exact figures since i dont have the contract here with me. Top out pay for captains is, I believe around $58/hr.

Given the size of the airline, it's not too bad. Also given the fact that aside from a few old captains here, almost everyone leaves to either Aloha or Hawaiian within 2 years of service at Island Air. So you can see what that does with upgrade times.

Living in Hawaii on this pay, as an FO, you can do it. You have to economize somewhat. Yeah the prices are generally more than the mainland, but you can find mainland prices here if you shop at Walmart or Costco, or if you can shop at NEX or PX where EVERYTHING is priced like in the mainland.

Once you upgrade, and coming here with flight time... you won't have a problem living here on captain pay.

skydiverdriver said:
I got the joke sig, but did you get the irony?

I think the reason you stopped replying to me was that you had no good answers for my questions. Actually, I would rather bash with FDJ's, because he can remain a gentlman with people he disagrees with.

Nope, in all honesty, that was my first response to you since that one post that I found entirely inappropriate.... you never apologized, so I never responded to your posts again. 53 days off (and counting) gives one time to get over it. Still consider it an inappropriate post but this is the internet so all's fair in love and war.

If you have questions, fire away. I may not have the answers, but I have an opinion. For debates sake I'm willing to start over as the topics around here have been bland lately.

Regiona selection

Thanks to all for the terrific advice! Hadn't really thought of Air Wis, will have to check it out. Also, hadn't considered Hawaii because it would be a heck of a commute back to BNA for loadmastering with the Air Guard!Truly appreciate all of the help.
Thanks again:)

Last edited:
SDD--

Do you even know FlyingSIG or his background? Trust me, he hasn't forgotten his roots. He was, and is, a supporter of regional guys. So, go easy on your "unlike you" comments, Mr. High-and Mighty.

Bad-Andy
(Regional guy, too...)

By the way, SIG, how's your little one doing? Haven't seen an update in a while.

RJDreamer,
There are a lot worse places to go than comair. I too am a career changer (40 yrs. old). The upgrade time is 2-3 years and then you will be on reserve for 1-2 years. I live in FL and so I have to commute but I was a flight attendant for 10 years before that and commuted most of that time too. My wife and I got married after I started flying so she is used to commuting and that helps. If you don't mind living in cvg life is probably a little easier, but I own a home on the water. If I told my wife I was moving to cvg she would say "I'll miss you", so I'm not moving. I still have hopes of seeing them reopen Orlando, and then life would be sweet. Whatever airline you choose, don't give up. The life is a good one.
Regards,
Brian De Jong

Latest resources

Back