• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Pilots Kill 228 People by Pulling up After Stall Warning

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
this new report said aoa information is not displayed to pilots. It seems like if they had aoa information they could have held things together.

How is AOA determined on the airbus? Is there an AOA vanes (like the CRJ) or is it derived from the Air Data probes (like the E170).

this new report said aoa information is not displayed to pilots. It seems like if they had aoa information they could have held things together.

They did have some AOA information, the stall warning horn. However they may have believed it was false since the speeds were acting up. What added to the confusion was the stall warning horn going away when ias dropped below 60 kts because the plane recognizes speeds below 60 kts as invalid. To make the confusion even worse, during the 10,000ft/min descent, when the PF pushed down the speed increased past 60 kts, became valid again, and stall warning came back on. The PF then pulled back again and it went away. Then he states they had no valid indications.

I think in future training it will be emphasized to always respect the stall warning, whether or not you think the system is giving a false warning due to inaccurate speed indications

They did have some AOA information, the stall warning horn. However they may have believed it was false since the speeds were acting up. What added to the confusion was the stall warning horn going away when ias dropped below 60 kts because the plane recognizes speeds below 60 kts as invalid. To make the confusion even worse, during the 10,000ft/min descent, when the PF pushed down the speed increased past 60 kts, became valid again, and stall warning came back on. The PF then pulled back again and it went away. Then he states they had no valid indications.

I think in future training it will be emphasized to always respect the stall warning, whether or not you think the system is giving a false warning due to inaccurate speed indications

I think future training should emphasize aoa based stall recoveries. If the aoa on this airbus wasn't determined by the adc (a vane based gauge) and it was displayed...it could have turned out differently.

Last edited:
I think future training should emphasize aoa based stall recoveries. If the aoa on this airbus wasn't determined by the adc (a vane based gauge) and it was displayed...it could have turned out differently.

AOA is not displayed on the Airbus.

If you were to stay on topic you would note that this AF pilot had 3500 hrs..The question is why did he increase pitch when he was at such a low speed. I think you would note that investigators will ask is it poor training or did he not recognize the situation as a low speed stall for some reason.
That leaves the question, did the 3500 hour pilot have 200 hours of pic, and then 3200 hours of sitting watching Fifi do her thing? Or did the 3500 hour pilot actually fly something before turning the already way to automated Airbus autopilot on.

Latest resources

Back