• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Hiring Over the Next 6-12 Months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Burn him at the stake! He's a witch! Burn, witch, burn!

Yea he's one of those, the economy never picked up after 9-11 people.

This time its gonna be oil and mortgages bringing us the gloom. hmm

OMG Regionals might start their mins at 1000 TT again.

PSA will continue to hire 30-40 per month until the spring. (According to a couple of Ground School Instructors) That is primarily to cover the loss of the remaining J4J captains. After they have gone back to Mainline hiring will slow down considerably. Only enough new hires to cover attrition. There is no growth projected (not even rumors). Upgrade time has dropped in the last six months from about 5 years down to 3. It remains to be seen what effect any flowthrough/preferential hiring agreement might have on the attrition rate. I think we will have a better handle on that around April or May.

I would like to agree on the slow economy...but everytime i try to commute i have trouble getting a seat. People are flying. Airplanes are full. As long as it is cheaper to fly then drive we will have full airplanes.
Go to the FAA.gov and see the statistics for Pilot Certificates issued. And look back 10 years.
We are on a steady decline after 911. Average age for pilots went from 40-45. We have the same number of ATP's then we did 10 years ago, but more people are flying.
Eventually the airlines will pay for thier greed. More pilots will take better paying jobs overseas and the regionals will have to transfer flying back to the majors. Or what should happen is anything over 50 seats should be a mainline airplane...but that is just wishfull thinking.

I feel that regional hiring will slow considerably. Age 65 combined with a slowing economy does not bode well for anyone. Just get in before the music stops, thats the best advice I can give.

SkyWest has a RJ Newhire clas with 33 people starting the 7th also a E120 calss with 20 in it on the 7th. We are taking 4 Delta 200"s and moving them to the United side. We are fat FO's for JAN but starting FEB we are short.

This is probably closer to the truth. The million dollar question though is consolidation in 2008.
I'm with you. With the right combination of economy woes and consolidation, there could be a lot of RJ's parked until a brighter day. It's already happening with Delta without consolidation. If United finds a willing partner to consolidate with, look out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Look at the numbers of flights Majors vs. Regionals before and after 2001, especially at Delta and United hubs. Granted they parked a bunch of 727's that will likely never return to service, but just imagine if they brought all those 757's back on line. They could easily reverse the trend and park a bunch of RJ's.

ASA is mighty fat on the ATR for FOs. As of Dec, we had nearly 50 FOs for less than 25 lines. WAAAAYYY too many FOs for the amount of flying to be done on an airplane that everyone thinks is going away.

(Now, 15 FOs are going to the jet or upgrading with a 1 May effective date....)

Latest resources

Back