Regional guys looking to move on...CA or FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Varmint

I am re-posting this from the Foreign section as some don't read it. Emirates apparently has dropped the 30T requirement as its not published in the requirements anymore.

Emirates US Roadshows. If you attend and fill out the expression of interest form you will more than likely get an interview if you meet the requirements.

11th July 2011 -- New York -- Doubletree Hilton JFK Airport Hotel -- 1000 am
12th July 2011 -- Chicago -- Chicago Marriott O'hare Airport Hotel -- 1000 am
13th July 2011 -- Detroit -- Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport Hotel -- 1000 am
14th July 2011 -- Cincinnati -- Hilton Cincinnati Airport Hotel -- 1000 am

Directly from the website. No PIC time needed, just an ATP:

To join Emirates as a commercial pilot, candidates must have a minimum total of 4,000 hours and 2,000 multi-engine jet hours, OR, or a total of 2,500 hours on a modern commercial multi-engine, multi-crew jet aircraft. (Please note that we do not accept simulator time in lieu of flying hours). Additional requirements include ICAO ATPL and ICAO English Level 4 or above.

A word-of-warning, read their Pilot Contract carefully! Oh, wait, they don't have a contact because Unions are illegal in the UAE. So, that means those 42 days of leave/year actually = whatever the company lets you have (which is usually far less than 42 days).
I have spoken with many Emirates pilots and they either love it or absolutely hate it. That company car that picks you to take you to work, will pick you up and take you to the Doctor if you call in "sick". Most of the flying is on the backside of the clock (great if you are planning a future career with FedEx or UPS, not so great if you are concerned about fatigue).
One pilot I spoke with said he has never seen a "western marriage survive the three years required over there."
And, sure your family will be housed in a "American-style compound" with other ex-pats, but you will NOT welcomed with open-arms when you are off the compound. After three years in the compound, cabin-fever will be very strong.
Futhermore, if you wish to schedule your vacations, that will be determined by the company as to when you get to travel back to the good ol' USA.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln. How was the show?"

Look, I didn't post this to read your naive crap....I posted it for those who might be interested in coming here. It would be nice if you didn't speak about things you really don't know about.

A word-of-warning, read their Pilot Contract carefully! Oh, wait, they don't have a contact because Unions are illegal in the UAE. So, that means those 42 days of leave/year actually = whatever the company lets you have (which is usually far less than 42 days).

Ok buddy, whatever you say. I have MORE than 42 days of vacation this year. They give what they can....42 is the norm....30 is required by LAW in the UAE. Beats my 21 days after 12 years at a US regional.

I have spoken with many Emirates pilots and they either love it or absolutely hate it. That company car that picks you to take you to work, will pick you up and take you to the Doctor if you call in "sick".

I have spoken with many regional pilots and they either love it or hate it...your point? Never had a company car pick me up and take me to the Dr office or heard of it happening. However, if I was very sick and couldn't drive it would be nice to have someone to drive me to the DR for free but I have never tried asking.

Most of the flying is on the backside of the clock (great if you are planning a future career with FedEx or UPS, not so great if you are concerned about fatigue).

HMMMM...most of the flying is INTERNATIONAL. Something you would not know about. If you look at the times that Delta's flights leave for Europe and the Middle East, you will also see that those flights leave late at night and fly overnight. Oh, and on the long flights, I sleep for half the flight in the bunks while the second crew takes over. For your information, I have never felt as fatigued here as the days I was on Duty for 15 hours and flew 7 legs in the US.

One pilot I spoke with said he has never seen a "western marriage survive the three years required over there."

LOL. True. Its better for single guys. If you are married and can't keep your pee pee in your pants around all these hot young ladies they have here as flight attendants, you will be in trouble and your marriage will fall apart. My family loves it over here and don't want to leave. Its safe....there are not 17,000 murders per year here and there are plenty of activities for the family.

And, sure your family will be housed in a "American-style compound" with other ex-pats, but you will NOT welcomed with open-arms when you are off the compound. After three years in the compound, cabin-fever will be very strong.

I am in company housing. Within the neighborhood there are Russians, Germans, Australians, Americans, Indians, Pakistanis, Omanis.....do I need to name more? It is hardly american style. But you are right, living in a $750,000, 2600 square foot villa is terrible.....I want to move back to the states so badly......NOT. Living in what you call a compound is no different from living in a gated community in the States. And yes, you are right about not being welcomed with open arms if you are the loud mouth, know it all type (you wouldn't do well here). If you are respectful and courteous, people outside the community are very nice as well.

Futhermore, if you wish to schedule your vacations, that will be determined by the company as to when you get to travel back to the good ol' USA.

Really? Again, I am glad you know so much. I actually bid for my vacation periods just as I did in the US and it is awarded on a seniority basis. Additionally, I needed to change my vacation so I emailed the leave planners and guess what....they approved it. Other than that, I am back to the US at least one time per month on a trip....its all in how you bid.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln. How was the show?"

Pretty bad....It was kind of like a Michael Moore film....Your facts were all skewed because you didn't really do your research....You have tunnel vision. If you don't want to come, don't apply......but don't give misleading and information that is not true to people who might actually be interested. You are not here, you don't know....obviously.

Last edited:
Varmint for the win! What an awesome reply. Thanks for the accurate rebuttal. To me Emirates is a very good opportunity because on top of very good pay you have no mortage or rent payment, which is most people's largest monthly expense. How does the other cost of living stuff (food, gas etc) compare with the US?

Varmint for the win! What an awesome reply. Thanks for the accurate rebuttal. To me Emirates is a very good opportunity because on top of very good pay you have no mortage or rent payment, which is most people's largest monthly expense. How does the other cost of living stuff (food, gas etc) compare with the US?

Pay is good...I did not take a pay cut when I moved here from the regional I was employed by (12 yr capt on the CR2) and most of my salary is tax free which gives me even more spending/saving money each month. I fill up my SUV...large american one...for $40 from 1/4 of a tank. Groceries are a bit more expensive...I notice meat and potato chips being the most inflated but other stuff is on par with what is charged in supermarkets in LAX. I did some price comparisons last month when I was there.

With that said though, my information on schedules is based on the Boeing fleet. There are a couple of Americans here who are on the airbus and they can speak more to the vacation/rosters on that fleet.

Latest resources

Back