Regional Airlines taking pay cuts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

With all these regionals taking pay cuts and Mesa signing a horrible contract, I'm still trying to figure out why in the H.ELL any one would vote yes for such a thing!?

If any members on this board have been at a regional that took a pay cut and voted yes, please explain.

Scare Tactics, FNG"s, and pilot's with morgages just to name a few. God luck on your quest.

328 dude nailed it on the head, You have to types of pilots that will take any pay cuts they have to. Lifers and FNG's. These cocks will kill any attemp at a better quality of life.
The lifers know if they lose their jobs they will have to start over as F/O's at some other half a$$ paying regional. Its a lot easier to tell that family your going to make a little less for a coulpe of years and dangle that carrot (i.e. gentelmens agreements, RJ's on the property, Growth and job security) for the family about how good it will be in eight years when we get to go back to the table in a better economy. That could be the best lie in aviation.
The FNG's are just so excited to have an airline job they can't hardly believe it. They might be able to finally pay off those flying loans. They don't want to go back on the street. They can't see that they have the most to gain from a better contract and the least to lose. They probably haven't been gone long enough from their old job that they couldn't get it back. And if they do get kicked back out on the street they are more marketable for another regional job.
We need to pull our heads out and quit working for less. If you haven't noticed mainline jobs are disapearing faster than the European spotted otter and being replaced with growth and security at chitty places. Happy Retirement........;) Enjoy your security.

Where did they put the spell check for this thing?

Because

Because if you do not restructure your pay packages, another airline will and take your business away.

There is a repricing of flying talent going on and no one is immune, vote or not.

I have a question for you here. Let's say I am a new hire in this market and right after or even during training I find out that the pilots are going to strike or the contract that is dangled if front us has pay cuts written all over. As a new guy am I even allowed to vote on such a thing? I was wondering how I would have any say at all. Not that I don't agree that we need to make things right for pilots and we really need to stand up for a descent wage that is liveable.
AND if I am allowed to vote why aren't the more senior or pilots who want to have a liveable wage doing more to talk with pilots to reject the contraact. I can see where one would be terrified about there job but if as a whole you stood up for it wouldn't that show the company...hey we need to re negotiate for something better.
I am not there yet but one of things why right now I am picky about which airline I want to submit a resume to is I don't want to be put immed. into a position of having to make life altering decisions when I would be so lucky and happy to just be there.
Yes I have a family and a mortgage and I am ready to make the step to the commuter. AND I guess I am ready or need to get ready to be broke......how unfortunate for all us.
Good luck to us all!!!!

Senior guys want to protect what ever retirement they have and would rather be crapped on for the last few years of their job than risk losing the 500 bucks a year in their 401.

Cargoboy: Generally speaking, as a new hire pilot, you are considered probationary for your first year on property not only for the company but also the union. Most unions will not allow you to vote until you are off probation and are a "card carrying, DUES PAYING member".
Most first year pilots are considered "apprentice" members which means you get the fruits of the contract, but you don't pay dues and you cannot vote, even on a contract.
Of course, there are always exceptions, but this is generally the way it is.
Good luck!

Yo Cargo...

At CHQ we are teamsters, you can(and better) vote on probation.

Thanks for the info.
My friend just got hired at CHQ no class date yet and I know they just voted to strike.
I figured though that at most airlines you wouldn't be able to vote since you are a new hire and way to impressionable and nervouse to even attempt to go against the grain.

I go the ICon whipping Icon at www.hotbar.com They have a bunch of them you jyust have to look around for a bit in the right area.
Cargoboy

Latest resources

Back