Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Speedtree

lovin' life
Ok all you brainiacs or legal minded pilots.

I have a former student who is preparing for an airline interview and is unhappy with the state of his old logbooks. He wants to recreate them and one option is to rewrite them and have me resign them. Or I could do an affidavit to certify all the entries in total without having to resign each one individually.

Now, I know an electronic logbook is a good option/solution and let's assume he isn't going that route. Also, let's assume I don't mind doing the work of resigning the entries.

Does anyone see any reasons legal or otherwise not to go this route and would either the affidavit or individually resigning the entries be preferred?

Thx.

You need to hang on to the original logbook, or individually sign. Why can't he just rewrite the logbook and have the original one there too as a backup. An affidavit isn't going to impress anyone, and at best makes the validity appear dubious at best.

First of all, decide if you want to do what is "legal," versus what will impress an airline interviewer.

What does the FAA require? At least, the required takeoffs and landings within the preceding ninety days.

I sense from your question you aren't as much concerned about the FAA as you are the HR person at a prospective airline, in which case I'd go with overkill: painstakingly recreate the entire logbook entry by entry. If you make a mistake, do not use white-out™. Just start over.

I started flying when I was 14 or 15. At one point I switched to a digital logbook back when they were still very new and realized all my 14 year old math was way off. My originals have cross outs and white out and all kinds of crap. As time goes on however, they improve drastically as I began to take more time with them. I say leave them as is, just like with everything else in life you learn whats important over time, and as long as his books show improvement and are accurate I don't think they'll care. Besides, even if you rewrite them you'll need the originals there so they're going to see them anyway...Where is the interview?

First of all, decide if you want to do what is "legal," versus what will impress an airline interviewer.

What does the FAA require? At least, the required takeoffs and landings within the preceding ninety days.

I sense from your question you aren't as much concerned about the FAA as you are the HR person at a prospective airline, in which case I'd go with overkill: painstakingly recreate the entire logbook entry by entry. If you make a mistake, do not use white-out™. Just start over.

He's more worried about the HR person, or pilot looking over the logbook. I'm more worried about the FAA and legal ramifications or potential problems. Ultimately I don't think it's that big a deal since I'm/we're not falsifying anything just restating it and all the required logging has been done as you say. If the HR people think he's overkilling it that's his problem.

Thx

I think your log books tell a story about personal growth as well as flight time. As you get older you become more more methodical, patient, and careful.
I think it would be very cool to evaluate log books for a company. The first thing I would do is go to page 1 of log book 1, and then flip to page last of logbook last and compare them. I know that if I went to page 1 and it was as perfect as page last, that would creep me out. It would SCREAM "anal, Howard Hughes, left brained, control freak, no girlfriend unless she's fat and insecure, tomato soup (specific brand) lined up with all labels facing just so, probably has all his body hair waxed, (AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!) ....so it's really bad, see?

My advice would be this: If your student is an 800-1500 hour wonder and the log book is a mess, I'd "doaredo." If your student is a 2000-umpteenthousand hour wonder, leave it. Of course that's assuming you see that growth. If not, do you really want to be associated with this person?

Latest resources

Back