Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
New Doctor, switched up the brand of contact lenses I was using claiming these new ones let more air get to my eye. Great - now my eyes dry out fast - blinking 100 times down final is getting annoying. I know I can go back to the old brand. HOWEVER, I'd like to hear what you all have luck with when it comes to contact lens brands - what ones ya like and don't like, so I can have 1-800-CONTACTS send me something that is "pilot friendly." Thanks - looking forward to your suggestions!

AZT

i have worn focus night&days for about 5 years now with zero problems. I've been flying 121 jets at all altitudes the whole time.

The best thing is they are monthly lenses. I wear them 24/7 for a month! Never have problems with dryness, even after sleeping with them on all night long!

Have your eye doc get you a trial pair

Hey AZ,
I dont know the brand I use, but they tell me I should cycle a new pair in every month. I actually get about 4-6 months per pair. ITS A CONSPIRACY!!! All jokes aside, I dont think it matters as long as you can pass that dam* test every six months. Just make sure your blinking isnt confused with a wink by your FO/Capt. Best of luck, and remember when all else fails on the eye chart. DEFPOTEC...

And also..... I did tell my eye doc that I was a pilots and that I had an air vent right above my face blasting on me in my aircraft. He fitted me accordingly, so my lids didnt stick to my eyes all day.

I've used ProClear in the past with good results. I'm now using O2 Optix since they fit a little better and I think they are superior(they are also approved by the MIL; the ProClear weren't). My wife is an FA and she also uses the O2 Optix with no complaints. I would also look into ClearCare by Ciba for a solution. The military doesn't allow the use of multi purpose solutions, just HydrogenPeroxide based ones. I asked my regular eye care doctor about it and he actually recommended it for multiple reasons, but he said it was hard to get people to switch. The only catch is that you need at least 6 hours to let the solution neutralize. Sometimes it can be hard, but I've found it to be well worth it. If you know you are going to have less than 6 hours, you can always throw them in your old lens case. The Optix were great for flying, but I think the solution definately helps them from drying out. I've worn them in the air for over 14 hours without any problems.

Last edited:
Focus Dailies

Buy 7 boxes get 1 free and a $100 mail in rebate. Total for a whole year (minus 5 days) of daily contacts plus tax came out to $153. I've had no problem with them drying out and at the end of the day I throw them away. No cleaning or storing. I figure that I'm saving money not buying ANY expensive solution for eye care. If they stop making daily contacts, I will finally cough up the cash for Lasik.

Acuvue OAsis

Used to have to wet my eyes multiple times per day. Now i can wear them for any 15 hour duty day no prob

Gotta look into Lasik! It's incredible, if you're a good candidate for it, based on a preliminary exam.

Latest resources

Back