Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimEJet

who can help.

I am wishfully hoping to be in DAL come April or May, however.

Since I am such an overachiever as my family lets me know everyday, I'd like some feedback.

First, I purchased some of those awesome PASS CARDS, John Pansmith publishes and I would like to know if any of you lucky new hires had used them and what the changes to the new flows that southwest teaches I should avoid while studying. Or should I just avoid the flows in general?

Second, were there any changes to the memory items? I really doubt it, but who knows. I wholly believe in the Law of Primacy and would hate to have to unlearn something.

I am going to prestudy for two months and there's nothing any of you guys or gals can do to stop me ;) Though I just want to make sure I am studying the right stuff.

Plus, I want to enjoy the whole process down there, drinking included. I don't want to spend the time down there actually studying :p

Well, thanks for any feedback.

JimEJet

The flows changed significantly. I'm debating whether it will be easier to modify the pansmith ones I got or to just start over.

The note cards though seem to be pretty close though. I don't think any limits or checked items changed.

Dude, please relax

First of all, congrats on getting hired and we all hope the new hire training goes according to schedule!

Second, you'll be given ample time to study while at training. You'll work just as hard whether you "pre-study" or not, and if you don't chill out you'll drive you partner crazy!

Third, as you probably know we are starting the new SNORT procedures in April, so if you try to prestudy too much you're just going to have to relearn everything.

Good Luck and just enjoy these two months before you hit the line!

Study your boxed checklists (what the AF would call boldface -- the "know by memory" steps) and the checked ops limits (again, required numbers to know). That's it. Flows will be far easier (and will make sense) when you're sitting in a mock-up. If you don't understand what a PASS-card is saying, then FOR GOODNESS SAKE DON'T COMMIT IT TO MEMORY!!! The PASS cards are great, but there ARE occassional printing errors on them! So by all means don't imbed something nonsensical into your memory verbatim!

But, really, the boxed and checked items are ALL that you need to spend time on. All the rest, you'll have time to learn during class, and it will make far better sense then anyway.

Aren't they sending info packets out now with "here's what you need to study" sheets in them?

Congrats on your upcoming class! You'll have a great time in the big D!

Snoopy

SNORT???

Does anyone out there know what "SNORT" stands for? Even the guys I know at SWA have never heard of the new term.

Thanks!

SNORT: Southwest Normal Operations Review Team... the guys who wrote the new procedures.

Trust me, you don't want to try to learn the procedures & the flows & how to use the checklists from flashcards! If you get to class knowing the boxed & checked memory items, you'll be doing just fine. Don't spend your time studying extraneous material and run the risk of confusing yourself & needing to unlearn something later!

Cheers,

Snoopy

Flash cards don't have flows.

I bought 3 things from Pass.

1 - cards (include memory items, limits, other good to know numbers and a goodly number of systems lights cards. all good with new procedures except for 1 or 2 cards)

2 - the profile booklet (shows single engine ils profile, takeoff profile, etc. I think this is probably still good with new procedures but am not sure, haven't checked it yet since I'm still in 2nd week of class and doing systems mainly)

3 - the flow booklet (shows FO flows. this is old procedures although I would expect that soon there will be one with the Snort procedures. the one I got a month ago does not match new procedures and I probably would hold off buying it until after it is updated with the new stuff. the flows and checklists have changed significantly. or so they tell us since my class is not learning the old stuff so we just know the new stuff, or don't know the new stuff as the case may be.)

short answer, I'd get the cards only until other stuff is updated.

Latest resources

Back