Recent ORD phrase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

macdu

I am based in ORD and was wondering why I heard the phrase "entering class B airspace", "exiting class B airspace"? This was said over and over to all the arrivals.
By the way this is the one of the best forums on FI. I have been flying to feed my family for 25 years now and I aways learn something on this particular site. So thanks to all the experts out there.

Technically,

Once you've been operating in Class B and ATC vectors you, or descends you below the Class B they are suppossed to tell you about it. That way you can adjust your speed, and start looking out of the window a little more.

Controllers take you out of Class B all the time without telling you, but they should. I don't know what has prompted the change in ORD, but last week the downwind for 10 was running about 40 miles west.

That's not just at ORD... I've been hearing that at several class B airports lately. Maybe a memo went out to start following that rule or maybe traffic has gotten to the point that it just happens much more often. Probably a combination of both.

Thanks, I was considering the speed issue myself, but, at ORD? It's 250 until told to do otherwise. I do recall being slowed to 210 then 180 while also being informed of the class B. The ORD controllers are first rate!

Well, if you under the Class B veil.... I know where you're coming from though when speaking of ORD. Heck, I'd just call the supervisor in the tower and ask him. I haven't visited up there in a few years but they were always easy to chat with and would answer any question.

PHL is doing that now - you exit and re-enter the class B Airspace on certain arrival flows.

One controller just loved to have more stuff they had to say...

I've heard it at DTW. It's nice to know so you can slow accordingly if you haven't been slowed already.

A summer or two ago ALPA put out a communication saying ATL would extend you on downwind outside and below the class B veil without telling you. After that I started paying closer attention when downwind got long and sure enough they let us go outside of the class B without telling us. It's a real pain in the butt trying to figure where exactly you are in relation the the class B chart when you are on vectors. I hope that controllers weren't vectoring you outside the class B then violating you. They probably weren't because this would make their job more difficult, but either way it's a nice call to make.

I haven't been there for a while so I don't know if they are still doing it, but the PHL arrival ATIS at one point had an advisory to the effect that "extended downwinds" may take arrivals out of the Class B

Latest resources

Back