Recent article regarding pilot salaries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airbaker

Does anyone know of a recent article in either the LA times, NY times, Wall Street Journal or USA Today, that covered pilot salaries. I'm asking because my father-in-law recently came across an article in one of the papers a few days ago (he couldn't remember which one). He said it had a break down of the hourly pay rates of all the major carriers. I just was curious and wanted to read it for myself.

We don't discuss money around the dinner table, but he was shocked at how little the profession paid...bet he wishes his daughter married a doctor! ;)

thanks

Appreciate your response. I actually already know about airline central and their payscales. I was just hoping to read the actual article....I guess I wanted to see how inaccurate the media has portrayed us.

If your father in law was surprised at how little we make then the media probably did an accurate job of portraying our salaries...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/14/business/0515-nat-MILLIONAIRESweb.gif

Just a click and paste special, Baby!!!

0515-nat-MILLIONAIRESweb.gif

Green said:
If your father in law was surprised at how little we make then the media probably did an accurate job of portraying our salaries...

Good point!

I think the diagram SWA/FO linked was part of the article my father-in-law was referencing. He had mentioned something about it showing SWA making $186/hr and I told him I thought they made close to $200.

Thanks for finding that.

I would like to point out (as we have to management) that these figures are ONLY flight pay per hour.

Benefits, or the lack thereof, are not part of the numbers in the article.

Last edited:
Accustomed only to success, it is as if they do not want to miss out on the rest of the story. They helped Southwest send big-name airlines like Pan Am and Eastern to the junk heap, and more recently helped bring United and Delta to their knees. Sure, it is hard work. But, they wonder, what might be next?
"This place has pushed employees to the breaking point," said Dan Johnson, 55, who started in 1971 as a Southwest ramp worker and now works in air traffic control. "It's part of why we're successful."

Helping to send airlines like Pan Am and Eastern to the 'junk heap' is kind of an odd thing to be proud of....

Its been covered Green... Your next!!!

Just kidding - really we had nothing to do with all da stuff.

Latest resources

Back