Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

oilcanbland

Okay,

Last February, I posted about an issue that I have about my medical and taking anti-depressant medication. Here it is...

About two years ago, I went through a lot of problems with my girlfriend (now my fiance), and we broke up a couple of times. This really shook me up pretty bad, and I started feeling pretty depressed. So I went to the doctor, and told them about the situation, and they said that I was going through depression, and they put me on an anti-depressant, called Wellbutrin SR. I wasn't flying at the time, because I knew that it wasn't a good idea considering my condition. However, I started to feel better a couple of months later, and everything was fine. Therefore I resumed my flying. I'm still taking the medication now because the doctor's just haven't taken me off of it.

However, I just recently learned in the last week that Wellbutrin isn't approved by the FAA to be on while you are flying. For some reason this idea didn't even cross my mind that I couldn't take this medication while I was flying, until recently, so I did research and found out I can't be on it. It hit me like a brick. Now I'm pretty worried and confused about what I need to do.

As I said I haven't flown very much lately so I've continued to cease flying, until I figure out what to do. I never was set out to screw the FAA. I just simply didn't know that I couldn't be on that medication. It didn't even cross my mind for some reason. And I pretty much know that the depression I was feeling was a situational thing, and not some kind of disorder that I have. Because I never felt that way in my life until I went through the problems with my girlfriend. Things are resolved with us now, and going great, and I don't see much chance of me feeling like that again.

Here is my plan. I'm going to go visit the doctor that prescribed it to me, and tell her that I'm a pilot, and the FAA won't allow me to be on the medication. I'll explain to her that it was a situational thing, and now I'm fine, and think I'll be okay off the medication. Hopefully then she will agree and I'll start to slowly come off of it. Or if she recommends that I stay on an anti-depressant, I'll ask here about that natural stuff, like St. John's Wort. (I've heard that stuff works). So then, I'll be able to come off the medication.

Now, here are where my questions come in. I'm due to get my medical renewed this June. I know that I need to tell them I was diagnosed with depression, and I need to tell them about the doctor visits. But what is the best way to go about telling them that I'm okay now and I am safe to fly??? I'm so worried that I'm going to get my medical taken away. This is a sick feeling. If they take my medical away, I might as well stay on anti-depressants for the rest of my life, because I'll need them. Maybe I'm over-reacting, I don't know. What do I do??? I need help. Thanks guys.

So anyway, I decided to call the people at Lefseat.com, and I did a little more research. I decided that I was going to try and come off the medication, so I called my doctor, and I got on a plan to get off of it. I’ve been off of the medication for almost three months. The FAA requires you to be off of it for 90 days, before you can fly. I don’t have my medical right now, and I haven’t even flown since October of 04’. Obviously, I’m not current on instruments so I’ll need to take a proficiency check, and I don’t want to have to take a BFR, if I don’t have to. I forgot the regs on when you need to have one.

Anyway, I have some questions now. Since I have been off the medication for the required time, I’m ready to get my medical and start flying again. I see no point in lying to the FAA about being on the medication, so I’m planning on telling them the truth about everything. If I went ahead and told them about the medication, are there any chances of them denying me of my medical still? My mental health is perfectly fine, and I know that I felt depressed before just because of the situation I was in. I had a first class medical before, but since I won’t be flying for the airlines for a while, I’m thinking about just trying to go for the second class. A teacher always told us to just go for the one necessary for the flying that you’ll be doing, that way, if you don’t get the first class, you won’t be forced to tell any other examiners why you couldn’t get the medical.

I think that if you do tell the FAA that you have been on medication, you need a letter from the doctor explaining that you’ve been off of it for 90 days, and your mental health is fine before they can issue your medical again. I’ve got an appointment with my doctor next month to get this letter.

My main question is this. What path do you all recommend to get me in the air the fastest? Also, what will I have to do to become current again? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. IMO to be honest... there's really no "fast" way to get you up flying by yourself again. Most likely they'll defer your medical until proper documentation has been obtained (get all you can when you go in... letter from the doctor who prescribed the meds and when you stopped taking it, etc...) Also talk to the good folks at AOPA... they have the answer to any question regarding the medical and flying experience.

As for the BFR... have you not had one or obtained a rating or certificate within the last 24 calendar months? if not then you'll have to have one. It'll be good for you. Ifyou are "current" then it's up to you whether you feel you're proficient. (don't forget, no pax until you do the whole 3 landings thing -- Same with pax at night) As for instrument currency, if the 6 month grace period has elapsed then you'll need an IPC and from what your saying, sounds like it wouldn't hurt to have one. Find a good CFII and both the BFR and IPC can be knocked out on the same day depending on your level of proficiency of course. Anything that can make you a better and safer pilot is always a good idea. It's fantastic that you've rekindled the aviation bug, but ease back into the driver's seat.

Yeah, I know that there is a chance that I'll get it deferred, but I need to know all what documentation I will have to have so this doesn't happen. And if it does happen, what I need to do to make is go as fast as possible.

The Pilot Medical Solutions (leftseat.com) website says that they've helped thousands of pilots in this situation, and I really could use their help, but I don't really want to have to chuck out the $1200-1800 that they want. Nor do I really have the money to do that anyway. I'm not an AOPA member, but I know they provide some support as well. If I can get the same help for their $40/year fee, than that is the obvious route I will take. However, I don't know if the AOPA medical assistance is as extensive as PMS. If anyone can give me some advice on this matter that would be great. Thanks.

Yes!!! Lord, spend the $40ish and get AOPA... greatest pilot resource ever. They have quite extensive knowledge of the medical cert and will hook you up with a AME over the phone... Don't spend the 1800!!!!!! geeze, try this first! On top of that when you start flying again, great resource for plates, airport data sheets, weather, flight planning, etc... plus the legal services they offer and the insurances they offer are fantastic, and you can get get reduced rate car insurance too!!! plus the chance to win a plane!! Can't lose!

Latest resources

Back