Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wmuflyguy

flunky
Ok, so today I was commuting home (in uniform), I was sitting in the seat across from the Aft galley on the MD88, reading Maxim minding my own business. The FA in the galley says, "I don't think that is appropriate reading material for the airplane"

I thought she was joking at first, and she was smiling, but after a couple minutes she comes back, and says a little more bitchily "Our company would have a problem if we were reading soemthing like that in uniform, and that since your in uniform you should put it away."

I tell her "I read it all the time in uniform in airports and never got a complaint before, but i'll put it away if it offends you"

Anyways during take-off sure enough her Cosmopolitain magazine falls off the galley shelf and lands on the floor, with some great title on it like "20 positions that will knock your guys socks off".

Anyways, lets here it, Who thinks Maxim is or isn't appropriate reading when your in uniform.

Oh an my next flight no-compliants from the FA's(they were very nice), but the guy next to me asked if he could read it.

I think it is one of those weird situations you have to feel out. Kinda like should you have a drink, if your jumping home in the back? Though you have all your bars,wings, and hat yanked, people still know your a pilot. Some F/A's encourage you to have a drink or two granted you have your stuff ripped off, some don't. Just have to feel out the people around you and the crew. I can see how that may be a bit weird with the Maxim, double standard though. People would never look differently at an FA for a Cosmo...but maybe because they already have made such assumptions about them!

She was probably looking for a fight. Personally, I find Maxim less objectionable than, say, Rolling Stone or any Al Franken book.

It would have been interesting to confront the first FA about her Cosmo. I can't imagine that she could argue that Maxim is inappropriate while claiming that somehow Cosmo is a high-brow, non-offensive read.

Some people go out of their way in order to feel offended. It's hard to feel sympathy for them when they get exactly what they were looking for.

"I apologize ma'am and I'll stow it immediately. Instead I'll get out my new book called "SHUT THE F&*K UP" BY DENNIS LEARY! NOW GET BACK THE THE KITCHEN AND STRAP THAT CART ON AND FIX ME A DRINK. JACK AND COKE! NOOOOOOOW! <CLAP CLAP>

Last edited:
Simple, get a subscription to SAR and quit reading that metro-sexual pony tail crap and you wont have that problem anymore.

Basically, the crew that is letting you commute is always right.

I remember ACA had something in the FOM about reading adult magazines, but I can't remember how it was worded. Maxim isn't really an adult magazine the way Playboy and Penthouse are, but someone who has never read it wouldn't know that it wasn't by looking at the cover.

FN FAL said:
Simple, get a subscription to SAR and quit reading that metro-sexual pony tail crap and you wont have that problem anymore.

So you're saying he should read gun-fetishist mullet-wearing crap instead?

I keed. I keed. (Before you have an aneurism.) :eek: ;) :beer:

Hypoxik said:
I think it is one of those weird situations you have to feel out. Kinda like should you have a drink, if your jumping home in the back? Though you have all your bars,wings, and hat yanked, people still know your a pilot. Some F/A's encourage you to have a drink or two granted you have your stuff ripped off, some don't. Just have to feel out the people around you and the crew. I can see how that may be a bit weird with the Maxim, double standard though. People would never look differently at an FA for a Cosmo...but maybe because they already have made such assumptions about them!

Uh, I think that if one is jumpseating, there is no question as to whether or not you should have a drink. ACM/XCM stands for additional/extra crew member. On the other hand, if one is non revving, on a pass, etc.....drink up. Especially if you are in the first 4 rows since it is free.

Back to the topic. Tell her to ask the captain if he allows "his" jumpseaters to read that brand. Also tell her that there is a Inflight Ghost Rider onboard watching her read her sex mag.

I had a similar experience with one of our flight attendents dead heading back to DTW from MSP on an EMPTY 757(she had her pick of empty aisles and sat in the same one as me, not a good thing.)

I bust out my Michigan Out of Doors (Basically a conservastion/hunting/fishing in an equal mix,) and proceed to relax and read. I hear "I don't like hunting," out of the trashy whores mouth, and I mummble a reply to the effect of "oh that's too bad, or sorry you don't." She got visably upset at that comment and goes on how since she didn't like hunting I should have the decency of not reading about it front of her, blah, blah, blah. I told her to not like hunting in one of the rows aft of us, and I'll go on not liking her right here. Seemed to work, never heard anorther word out of her.

Latest resources

Back