Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksu_aviator

GO CATS
I've heard from several operators that we cannot change our destination in flight unless there is an emergency or continuing to the destination would cause an emergency. I can't, however, seem to find any reference to that. Does anyone know where that interpretation came from?

So that means you don't do diverts due to weather, or other issues??

Of course you can change your destination. You simply need to comply with the flight-reporting requirements contained in your GOM.

So that means you don't do diverts due to weather, or other issues??

Of course you can change your destination. You simply need to comply with the flight-reporting requirements contained in your GOM.

No. Diverting is different than redispatching. Diverting is fine. What I'm talking about is departing knowing you may change your destination for operational reasons. I.e. filing to Wilmington so you can ask Philly if you can land there because of ground stops or taking off with a fuel stop in mind but continuing to your destination when the fuel burn allows. Things like that.

It's an operational control question. If a person with operational control approves the plan, it is OK. So if you are heading to Milwaukee and your DO sends a message to go to Oshkosh instead, you can go to Oshkosh. If you file to the airport with an IFR approach, planning to cancel and land at the nearby VFR only airport if possible, that's OK too - as long as the person with operational control knows about it. A PIC who has operational control can make the same decision. Any PIC can decide to divert for weather, mechanical, fuel, etc - but most comply with GOM reporting requirements to inform the person with operational control.

It's an operational control question. If a person with operational control approves the plan, it is OK. So if you are heading to Milwaukee and your DO sends a message to go to Oshkosh instead, you can go to Oshkosh. If you file to the airport with an IFR approach, planning to cancel and land at the nearby VFR only airport if possible, that's OK too - as long as the person with operational control knows about it. A PIC who has operational control can make the same decision. Any PIC can decide to divert for weather, mechanical, fuel, etc - but most comply with GOM reporting requirements to inform the person with operational control.

I understand, and all that is fine. But I'm talking about a very specific scenario where you depart with the intention of redispatching in flight.

We could get into the problems with diverting on request when you talk about weather reports, NOTAMs, destination airport annalysis and the like for the scenario you gave above. But that is a different discussion for a different day.

I understand, and all that is fine. But I'm talking about a very specific scenario where you depart with the intention of redispatching in flight....

It's NOT a re-dispatch.

You simply depart and change your destination while enroute, then comply with the flight reporting requirements as previously mentioned.

Here is the information you are looking for it goes into detail and references the FAR's concerning the requirments specified in §§121.639 through 121.647

121.631 Original dispatch or flight release, redispatch or amendment of dispatch or flight release.
(a) A certificate holder may specify any regular, provisional, or refueling airport, authorized for the type of aircraft, as a destination for the purpose of original dispatch or release.
(b) No person may allow a flight to continue to an airport to which it has been dispatched or released unless the weather conditions at an alternate airport that was specified in the dispatch or flight release are forecast to be at or above the alternate minimums specified in the operations specifications for that airport at the time the aircraft would arrive at the alternate airport. However, the dispatch or flight release may be amended en route to include any alternate airport that is within the fuel range of the aircraft as specified in §§121.639 through 121.647.

All the time...

Depart for one (secondary) airport that is currently/forecast meeting minimum weather requirements permitting departure, knowing full well, weather conditions at the second (primary) airport will improve and be higher than minimums while enroute.

This is a crucial strategy for meeting schedules and adapting to un/scheduled outages of navigational aids required for lowest DH/MDA of a given airport during seasonal transition periods like spring and fall near larger bodies of water.

It is also a clever manipulation of Minimum Fuel Requirements where distance and payloads may be a flight planning concern.

However, like that previously stated, only those listed in GOM with operational control or dispatch authority can "dispatch/release" a flight unless an alternative flight locating procedure is approved by the CHDO.

You are not absolved of the All Available Information for intended use airports requirement as well. Huge 'gotcha' for the supreme prick of all pricks Ramp Check at the Secondary Airport.

100-1/2

maybe I am ignorant or have not noticed but lately (last year or so) ATC is asking "state reason for change" whenever we (Part 91 operator) change our destination. Many times the owner gets a last minute call or blackberry and asks us to change in flight.

Anyone else getting this

Latest resources

Back