• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ram Air Freight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew there in 2000. Had to emergency extend the gear in the 402 a couple times. The engines backfired when brought to idle on most of the 402s. You couldn't fully reduce power until over the pavement in case one quit. Also had a couple attitude indicators go bad on me. Luckily only one was in IMC and the ceiling was high that day. It was also fun guessing your weight and balance. We knew how much weight was on board down to the pound, but had to guestimate how it was distributed.

Loading the planes in winter was no fun, but besides that and maintenance issues, it was great flying. Flying there does make you a better pilot. You are on your own, usually fully loaded, with weather, trying to keep a schedule. It is the first time you really have to think about things and make pressured decisions. It was nice flying along the coast too. Took over someones run one day and got to fly along the outer banks. Got to fly over Hatteras lighthouse.

Were you the guy that did it back in Jan 06? Or has it happened again? 10/05-11/06 for me, btw.

Good experience and fun flying; wouldn't trade it for anything these days.

Yep. That was me... good memory. Funny thing is it was my first day on the line after passing the checkride that morning.

I agree great experience. As long as the mags work.

Yep. That was me... good memory. Funny thing is it was my first day on the line after passing the checkride that morning.

I agree great experience. As long as the mags work.

Hard to forget that one; friend of mine that was in class with you had his nose gear fold up that day too. He had a rough one; rode along with me for a week before hand; we lost both comms and the LORAN in 17S over CLT while being vectored around some thunderstorms.

"Is this normal?" he asks when the stormscope (only think left working) lit up for the 3rd time in a few minutes and our airspeed was fluctuating +/-35 knots in the updrafts/downdrafts.

"It is here."

You ended up taking the Macon base, right? Where'd you end up after that?

Haha.

Around don't you mean through thunderstorms! That is what it felt like most of the time.

I did end up in Macon. Flew there thru June 06 untill I was offered a job in Atlanta flying a Beechjet.

Where did you end up? How about the guy with the gear collapse?

Haha.

Around don't you mean through thunderstorms! That is what it felt like most of the time.

I did end up in Macon. Flew there thru June 06 untill I was offered a job in Atlanta flying a Beechjet.

Where did you end up? How about the guy with the gear collapse?

Awesome, congrats. I'm in SW PA flying a couple of Lear's after a year in Charlie West. 2nd to last day I got to shut one down in 70M coming out of PAH. Fun times.

The gear collapse guy went on to UPT for his ANG unit in March of 06 and is flying T-38's now. He claims he's still on "unpaid military leave" from Ram though. ;)

AirMugsy which Lance did u glide in??????????

8985C, the one from the website. It sucked, but somehow managed glide for 7 minutes in the dark. It was a week or 2 after the other guy in TG glided his,, and it was the same part that failed

8985C, the one from the website. It sucked, but somehow managed glide for 7 minutes in the dark. It was a week or 2 after the other guy in TG glided his,, and it was the same part that failed

Airmugsy.
Heard about your nightime glide through word of mouth. By that time I was outbased by myself down in Macon.

The story I heard was you deadsticked it into a private airfield and the owner rolled up on you with a shotgun because he thought you were running drugs. After convincing him you weren't he dove you into town... but still at gunpoint.

I've gotta know it this is the way it happened or have you become a Ram Air urban myth.

Latest resources

Back