Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IFollowRoads said:
Sad, but true.

Very untrue! There are plenty of good paying, high QOL piston jobs.

Way2Broke said:
Very untrue! There are plenty of good paying, high QOL piston jobs.

Yes, but to impress an insurance company for a good corporate captain position you'll need turbine time.

Read This Closely People!!!

- What percentage of pilots at RAF ACTUALLY stay longer than a year? Very, VERY few. It seemed the average was 4-6 months, when I was there last year. Must be less now - as it APPEARS they're trying to make it LOOK like they're throwing money at you!

- VERY, VERY few line pilots (especially multi-engine rated guys/gals) stay longer than 6 months! They get fed up with the iffy maintenance and single-pilot IFR with equipment failures.

- Again, as I can attest to from personal experience, it's a great place to build time - but not to stagnate at. There are MUCH better paying jobs out there, with much better equipment to fly, with real TANGIBLE benefits.

- Please read between the lines people. Companies like this DO NOT throw money at people. There's always a catch, even if it looks like they do.

Come on "Big Dog", I know you've got some BS wisdom to throw out there! Why don't you use your real name, or at least let us know it's really Big John, and not Big Dog!!!

Last edited:
I made no comments as far as what one may make of the job in this thread. I simply posted the pay scale and let people make up their own mind. I say this to everybody; it is what it is. It is primarily check and bank material hauling in piston single and multi engine aircraft. As always, whether in a 1976 PA32 or a new E190, it is up to the PIC to find and write up discrepancies. If you choose to fly broken equipment, then that's the PIC's choice.
If you choose to use RAF as a place to stay 6-8 months and build your multi time, the choice is yours. If you want to stay for a whole year or 2 and work your way up the food chain, that choice is also yours. You also have many choices to make about where to live, depending on whether your priority is flight time, multi time, living near family and getting to see them, QOL or whatever. Perhaps that's the best thing about RAF, is that you have choice and flexability, something many other places don't offer. My personal choice is QOL as opposed to the shinny new jet, a pay cut and a 4 year wait to upgrade, not to mention the reserve schedule and commuting. I have been rewarded with regular and steady increases in pay for sticking around a little bit. To each his own.
As far as me being a certain owner in the company, you couldn't be farther from the truth...I suggest you STFU about that. I'm not him.

Last edited:
The Concord domicile at Ram is still my plan. Some of you folks need to lighten up IMO. If you're the kind of person that is ALWAYS searching for greener pastures then I'm sure it's very easy to snub your nose at MANY companies. If you truly love flying and aren't in it ONLY for the money then it should be a little easier to size up a company on what they offer. A freaking J O B !! And maybe a tolerable QOL. Like I eluded to in a previous post, you can't run around freaking out about every little maintenance issue. And when you do exercise your rights of PIC and refuse to fly something, your comany should respect that. When they don't (within reason) then it's time for those greener pastures. A minor oil leak is nothing. A dead mag is another. Experienced pilots know when to say when. (Not that I'm THAT experienced or anything, but I have learned a lot regarding maintenance is the past few months.)

mcjohn said:
The Concord domicile at Ram is still my plan. Some of you folks need to lighten up IMO. If you're the kind of person that is ALWAYS searching for greener pastures then I'm sure it's very easy to snub your nose at MANY companies. If you truly love flying and aren't in it ONLY for the money then it should be a little easier to size up a company on what they offer. A freaking J O B !! And maybe a tolerable QOL. Like I eluded to in a previous post, you can't run around freaking out about every little maintenance issue. And when you do exercise your rights of PIC and refuse to fly something, your comany should respect that. When they don't (within reason) then it's time for those greener pastures. A minor oil leak is nothing. A dead mag is another. Experienced pilots know when to say when. (Not that I'm THAT experienced or anything, but I have learned a lot regarding maintenance is the past few months.)

Go to Ram and you will end up learning alot more. But not necessarily in a good way. Bud, it doesn't matter what company you fly for, they aren't gonna like it when you MX out a bird or write something up. Either way, it means money out of their pocket. Don't ever expect them to respect it, they just have to deal with it. Oh yeah, if you are gonna refuse to fly ANYTHING, make sure you have a damn good reason and make sure it is in writing. I have seen several a pilot get canned for having balls(telling MX or mngmt to stick it) but no brains (writing up the problem and maybe taking pictures). These days it is all about CYOA. Who can do it the best. And don't expect the company to look out for you.

mcjohn, look into airnet, same great flying experience, except all multi (or C208), better pay, upgrade to jet, and you can write-up whatever you want. Oh, and you should never lecture freight dogs about PIC authority or provide anecdotal evidence from your banner-towing career. I doubt you ever towed one through ice or thunderstorms in the middle of the night. Just a little advice. Take it or leave it.

Latest resources

Back