radar service terminated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleddriver71

When ATC tells you that radar service is terminated, does that also allow you to squawk 1200 even if they don't tell you to squawk 1200 or squawk VFR?

I would say definitely not. Many times I have been IFR and was told "radar service terminated". Technically (yeah I know I'm no ATC guy) all that means is that they are no longer able to give you any service (possibly below radar coverage.) Also, they say this quite often when leaving U.S. airspace and entering Mexican airspace. You're still IFR, they're just done with you.

I also agree with the TFR statement...squawk VFR if you don't care about your career.

All it means is that they will no longer give you radar services, but you are still on an IFR flight plan until you cancel. In the event of a missed approach, radar contact can be re-established, and you will be legal to fly back into IMC conditions if they exist.

So keep the squawk unless they say differently.

I also agree with the TFR statement...squawk VFR if you don't care about your career.

I've been operating in TFR's professionally for years, as part of the mission for which the TFR is created...and we couldn't give a stuff if you're squawking this or that. Unless ATC is handling the TFR, ATC couldn't, either. Then again, it really depends on the type and nature of the TFR.

To say that squawking VFR in a TFR will get you violated, however, is incorrect.

I would definitely not assume it is OK to squawk 1200. There are many instances where ATC wants you to continue to carry an ARTS track even after radar service has been discontinued. A TFR transit could be one, as could a frequency change to a non-radar tower that has BRITE for situational awareness, or at freq change to CTAF during a VFR practice appch to a non towered airport thats is terminating as a missed/low approach, etc, etc. The controller should specify this and if you are unsure ask.

I've been operating in TFR's professionally for years, as part of the mission for which the TFR is created...and we couldn't give a stuff if you're squawking this or that. Unless ATC is handling the TFR, ATC couldn't, either. Then again, it really depends on the type and nature of the TFR.

To say that squawking VFR in a TFR will get you violated, however, is incorrect.

Well someone needs to tell that to a few hapless crew over in Manassas, VA that did that very thing only to get a nice visit with our friends from the FBI and the TSA. But you are right about one thing, ATC couldn't care less.

Everyone responded with the idea that you were IFR.
And everyone is correct if that is your premise. Terminating radar service is not canceling IFR - only you can do that. There are many instances when ATC will terminate radar service while on IFR clearance and they do not want a txpdr code change. They will tell you when and/or if they want a change.

However, I took your question to be when you are vfr and using radar service and they say radar terminated. Sometimes they do that without following up with the "squawk 1200". Sometimes they do. When they don't add the "squawk 1200", I would suggest you ask. I get that a lot going into a non-towered airport. If you are approaching a traffic pattern and cannot get the asking question in, don't worry - I would stay on assigned code until landing, but I don't think it matters in this case. Staying enroute is different. They may be coordinating with another facility and id'ing you with the assigned code. Best to ask.

If you are on an IFR flight plan that takes you through a VIP TFR, squawking 1200 while inside the boundaries will get you an instant TFR violation. So says the TSA.

Today there are four different VIP TFRs in effect in SoCal airspace..and you bet ATC cares what you are squawking because they are directing the intercepts. And if you are on the wrong code you just got some wingmen.

Latest resources

Back