• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

R/W Job Market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you want to fly EMS then go for it. A typical schedule of five-12hour days on and then 5 days off is great QOL. Not everything in aviation revolves around money. I would much rather fly EMS then take a bad fixed wing job. I flew medevac for 2.5 years in the Army and really enjoyed the mission. But the QOL was horrific. If you want to fly helicopters then work your A$$ off and go for it.
DUSTOFF
D...dedicated
U...undying
S...service
T...to
O...our
F...fighting
F...forces

earl

Checks... do you really fly helos?
10 Hours/month for EMS? Where, on the moon?
The fun wears off? Maybe for you but not for me and most folks I fly with.

Last edited:
Are you implying most EMS guys are getting more time? In some cases that might be true but there are very, very few EMS guys getting more than 20hrs a month. You dont time build in EMS. Looks like you are a Navy pilot, I am 3 yr EMS pilot and I have averaged 150hrs a year.

Ok, it is fun and I personally I enjoy it immensly but I am just throwing a little perspective out there. Everyone thinks I make 80K and fly 5 hours everyday.
The reality is closer to 50K and 5 hours in one 7 day shift and hoping your hospital doesnt change vendors because then it is back to the beginning again.

How many helo EMS hours do you have?

Last edited:
How many EMS hours do I have, or how many MEDEVACS have I done to civilian hospitals? Make sure you ask the right question if you want a response.

I have looked into the EMS field. It seems the hour requirements are high, but everyone I talked to seemed to love it. That is all I am saying.

I dont think flying into a civilian hospital can qualify one to you speak about the civilian EMS field. The military and civilian EMS are two totally different animals.

Anyways, maybe some of us should post some technical questions on this board to keep things going. Any ideas?

mattpilot said:
why does the R22 suck?

no .. that would offend to many people. ;)

Regardless of who it might offend, I wouldn't fly it. Back when the Robinson's cyclics were falling apart and people were routinely exceeding the allowable mast - rotor angle, I called a friend who is a GS-15 in the FAA's vertical flight division to ask about the helicopter. He said it was an okay helicopter - if you just didn't fly it.

GV

mattpilot said:
why not?

A very good EMS job pays that much.

But to get up in the 80-90's range you will need to be a very experienced corporate pilot. I don't think i've ever heard about anyone making more than 100k. Althought Donald Trump's pilots (who all have in excess of 10k hours) probably make some good cash.

One of Trump's pilots has a pretty interesting history (right up there with the chief pilot of Wotan's), if "The Donald" ever had to perform any black ops- he's already staffed for it.

GV

mudkow60 said:
How many EMS hours do I have, or how many MEDEVACS have I done to civilian hospitals? Make sure you ask the right question if you want a response.

mudkow,

I have to agree with Checks on this one. Having flown Navy helos for 10 years, EMS for 2, and airline for 2, I can say Checks numbers are very accurate. I loved flying helos, but have no regrets having moved over to fixed-wing. I am away a lot more from home, but the flying is safer, and the pay potential is better. As far as the schedule, 7 day on 7 day off lifestyle may sound great, but after your 4th day of 7pm to 7am...you are tired.

Latest resources

Back