• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quiet Birdman Association

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quiet Birdmen or "QB"s as they are more commonly known are simply pilots from all walks of life. They are all treated equally by one another and for that reason Charles Lindbergh was a member. Instead of being the world's greatest or most famous pilot, he was simply "one of the boys".
He could talk aviation with those who spoke the lingo and there wasn't the need to worry about the outside world near as much. There are chapters of the "QB"s all around the country but you must be invited before you can even attend a meeting and then there is an extended "trial" period before you can become a "QB".

QB= Guys who passed their prime, history, and social acceptance (in regards to women in the workplace) All they have left is drinking and telling tall stories of remember when and as they drink the stories get taller and taller. Unlike the shriners who raise money for kids and hospital programs QB's just tell stories of what life was like back when.

Sounds like the CAP oh wait they do something other than just drink.

Does anybody know anything about these folks?

Once upon a time my instrument instructor told me of having been invited to a meeting of these folks. It was a good story, and I immediately wanted to become associated with them somehow. But at that time the 500 hr minimum time needed was still far in the future.

They seem to be a mystery organization. I think they still exist, maybe I can ask somebody next time I go to Oshkosh?

You don't find them, they find you? How can I help them find me? Is somebody I know a QB and I don't know that? I suspect so, but I've gotten lots of puzzled looks by asking very senior pilots if they knew anything.

tj
My grandfather was a member. Sadly, he has been dead for decades and my father passed away almost 10 years ago so, I have little to no information on how he was recruited. He was however building and flying airplanes as early as 1912. He was also friends with Tony Jannus. If you don’t know who Tony was just Google his name and read his Wikipedia article. file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/aa/10/6C313487-D543-46C6-AE29-CE64EA78A874/IMG_8505.HEIC

This was my grandfathers membership card. He was building and flying airplanes as early as 1912. He was also a good friend of Tony Jannus, I assume anyone on this page knows who Tony Jannus is; if not, just Google his name. That’s my grandfather on the left of a plane he and a friend built.

Attachments

• 7FB1F96B-BD2F-4614-BEC8-24F435C82303.png
    7FB1F96B-BD2F-4614-BEC8-24F435C82303.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 3E199B76-775A-4E18-BAD1-8DCAA1F64587.png
    3E199B76-775A-4E18-BAD1-8DCAA1F64587.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
I knew a couple of QBs while going to school in San Louis Obispo. Everyone of them was a very noce guy. I once enquired about membership and was told that "You don't ask them, they ask you".

Also, "Birds Fly, Men Drink" is the motto of the "Man Will Never Fly Society":

Man Will Never Fly Memorial Society

Which, BTW, the membership is mostly made up of professional pilots.

"Are you a Turtle"
You bet your sweet ass i am!

I have been invited to come to meetings and am currently being sponsored. I look forward to becoming a member of a group that has as it's members great historical aviators such as Lindberg, Doolittle, and other greats. The Hangar that I attend has a lot of history too and I am in awe of those members.

Latest resources

Back