Quickie type rating for the Citation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

getonit

Looking for any feedback on any of these companies or others that offer a Citation type rating for 5-7 thousand dollars.

Companies I know of
Flight crew systems in CA
Link Aviation in Dallas
Walter Bradshaw in FL

I have enough experience in the airplane and I am not a big fan of paying myself but I am willing to invest in myself if I think it improves my chances.

Another plug for Mike Pappas - Flight Crew Systems

I did my Citation type with Mike in 1990 when he was Professional Airline Systems. I had a great time. Mike is a great instructor and examiner. Very relaxed atmosphere. I recommend him most highly.

I agree with your rationale 100%. It will be worth it. Buying the type will be a good move for you because you have time in type. Moreover, a type rating is tax-deductable.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
A Type is tax deductable? How so!

I am going to SimCom on my own dime in a few weeks for a Hawker Type. I would love to know...and yes I have time in the Hawker (about 500 hours worth).:D

insurance

I'd check with my insurance carrier before going off for the quicky type. Years ago that was cool, but in today's climate MOST insuance companies will NOT accept these quicky schools even if you have a ton of time and especially if the liability limits on the aircraft are above 5 Million.

CHECK THE INSURANCE

The insurance industry is regulating aviation not the FAA. If you do not have simulator based training, most underwriters will NOT cover you or the airplane.
I took a 135 check w/FAA in the airplane and was sent a cancellation notice saying this is not an approved program.
The people selling these ratings will tell you that they are approved by the insurance industry. MAKE them prove it.
I suggest you save your money, rough times are coming.

I agree with Jim!

I just got my CE-500 type from Flight Crew Systems...Excellent!
Mike Pappas is a good guy and will make you feel comfortable with your Type ride.

I did the expanded course; 5 hours in the airplane.

Your instructor will be Roger Nutter of King Ground School fame.

FLIGHT CREW SYSTEMS! DO IT!

DesertFalcon

==========================================
getonit said:
Looking for any feedback on any of these companies or others that offer a Citation type rating for 5-7 thousand dollars.

Companies I know of
Flight crew systems in CA
Link Aviation in Dallas
Walter Bradshaw in FL

I have enough experience in the airplane and I am not a big fan of paying myself but I am willing to invest in myself if I think it improves my chances.

Tax deduction

tdwnds1 said:
A Type is tax deductable? How so!
I actually had a discussion about this with my accountant. It is definitely deductable as a business expense. Some people believe a type rating is deductable under the Lifetime Education Credit. My accountant felt that unless the school is an educational institution that falls under §481 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 that using the Credit is pushing the envelope.

PS-The course with Mike Pappas is exactly how Jim described. After you pay your deposit you will be sent the Citation POH. Read it beforehand; Mike wouldn't let us take notes in class.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back