Question for recent FFDOs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I was just wondering how long it took you to start training from the time you started the application process online.

Thanks

Pass the word, it's much quicker than in the past.

I applied online in early May, after the rest of the steps were completed I received approval for training at end of June. I know a guy who started the process last fall and it took until March to get it all done.

Total time, 7 weeks until assigned a training date. I could have shaved off maybe 7 days for one step and bid conflicts, and maybe another 7 days for "phone tag" on the background checks. I also could have went to training in July, but picked one in August after my kids start back to school.

To me the process is now more inline with the typical airline pilot's expectation of time and a fairly low "pain in the arse" factor. The process has been fairly straightforward and painless.

Please do it and pass the word.

Last edited:
for those who already are FFDO's.... when you pass security with your gun-case, do they still bother taking nail clippers and other "dangerous weapons" away from you ? - afterall, you do have a gun :)

mattpilot said:
for those who already are FFDO's.... when you pass security with your gun-case, do they still bother taking nail clippers and other "dangerous weapons" away from you ? - afterall, you do have a gun :)
Maybe HK could make more money on their FFDO guns if they included an "armorers" tool with the package. A Swiss Army knife of sorts, including toe nail clippers and a combination mustache and nose hair trimmer.

Ffdo

6 Weeks from initial to approval.
It is a superb program,and not a cakewalk by any means.No TSA guilt by association(screeners) here. The instructors are top notch,and mean buisness.
A fire hose the whole week,but every minute was enjoyable,and informative.

Mattpilot,

There is no need to discuss ANY FFDO procedures on this or any other public board. I'm sure you meant no harm, but it is a very serious issue.

agreed - discussing procedures is a bad thing

It was more ment as a joke. Its funny how Flight Crew gets even more attention at the security checkpoints than any other person. The Flight crew doesn't have to use nailclippers to gain access to the controls, he already has control of the aircraft to begin with :). Always makes me smile when i see a pair of pilots getting screened :)

Latest resources

Back