Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

g159av8tor

Chicago Style
I'm posing a question concerning minimum climb speed in the Hawker 800. We operate two XPs with API winglets and half of us pilots use the holding fuel flow chart (best endurance) to obtain minimum climb speeds per weight to cruise altitude fearing they will get too far back on the power curve. The other half us do not use this technique and use 180 KIAS as a minimum from other airplanes we've flown. Our Ops Specs don't address this issue.

Since there is no minimum published from Raytheon, Flight Safety instructors (Bob Dover, et al in ICT) reiterate that factoid.

Any guidance? Tailwinds...

Pitch

I had one of the many highly experienced and competent Options guys show me you could set the F/D to pitch mode at 4 degrees nose up as you pass thru 10k ft., and hold that all the way to 410 and it would give you a great optimization of climb rate/airspeed. Try it some time. It also works nice to pitch to 10 degrees from initial climb to 10k, works great on speed as well.

Sounds interesting, but I doubt it would work on the 800. There is a huge difference in climb performance between an XP and an 800, with the 800 being really doggy, especially in the 30's and not even capable of getting to 410 with any type of weight on board (I forget the weight, but it's a loooong time, at least on the 800a I used to fly).

My 800 technique, for what it's worth, used to be 250 to 10k, then accelerate to 290-300 (assuming no ventral fuel), and then bleed 3-4 knots per thousand. So for 36k, 25k(assuming 1k while accelerating)*3 or 4 = 75 to 100 kts, which puts me just at or above my min speed. I always use 200 kias as the minimum climb speed.

Totally different ballgame with ventral fuel.

Latest resources

Back