Question for Comair guys??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Obi-Wan

On the average how much extra pay do you guys get on top of your scheduled pay as a result of your duty rigs?

min guarantee per month is 75 hours. i've been out on line since sept as a new hire and have been averaging between 85-90 hours per month. Highest I have gotten so far has been 96 hours of pay if I remember right. Lines are made of with a min of 83 and max of 92 hours,somwhere around there. Hope this answers your question.

Later,
Hammer

Hammer:

How does your reserve system work? We are in heated (and unproductive) negotiations right now. One of the most important issues to us as ASA is scheduling and reserve assignments. We anticipate major progress in this area eventually (even if a strike is required).

Also, we've heard rumors of a Comair crew base in ATL within the next two months or so......any thing you have heard.

Rest assured, eventhough a Comair base in ATL is a bit unnerving to ASA, the CMR pilots will be treated like brothers.

Pale, I apprecaite the open arms for us in ATL. As far as i have heard its just a rumor right now. And i'm sure you know how rumors come and go.

As far as reserve goes i'll try and explain....
Being on reserve, and with our PBS bidding system, mainly all we can bid are days off or types of days off (i.e. weekends, or certain days of the week or month, consecutive days off, etc.)
Once that is complete the company will publish the days for the month, which will be marked as just (RS).
After we know that, we have what is called a "SAW" window where we can "bid to fly" and also pick our "reserve windows"
Since we are called out by the most junior person to the most senior, what bid to fly does is it allows someone to be put on a "first call" notice. Basically if you bid to fly and are the most senior on reserve you will be called out first rather than last.
They will also try and fill your line up with left over trips sometimes that were either in open time or open check airman time for new hires for example. Also when you bid to fly you'll almost always get 6 ready reserves that month. I'll explain more on that later.
The reserve windows we can bid go from A1- A8 and basically they are blocks of time that you are on call. A1 is from 0000-1400 and A8 is the latest which is from 2000-2400. The others begin at various other times throughout the day.
Once the SAW closes, we know now what days we have off as well as what times we will be on call and, if we bid to fly, what ready reserve pairings we have as well as trips.
Continuing on with ready reserve, it will show up as a pairing on our schedule and will be for a 6 hour block of time. It begins with your show time and ends when you duty off 6 hours later. Ready Reserve periods pay 4:20 worth of pay or whatever you fly IF it is greater than 4:20. So as long as you start your ready, you are going to get paid a min of 4:20 for that day. We are provded with a pager while on reserve so its nice not to have to worry about scheds calling me on my phone MOST of the time. <G>

I hope this answers some of the questions you had even though i may have said more than i needed. PM me if you need any more info. I hope all goes well with you guys and negotions. Too many others in this industry seem to forget where they came from and what it took to get here, for the most part, and lower the bar for many of us. Give em hell.

Later,
Hammer

The rigs are essentially a non-issue in that we fly more hours than the rigs generate.

As always, there is one exception...CD lines. The 1:2 rig (one hour of pay for each two hours duty) helps these guys a lot. A CD line may only have 35-45 actual hours of flying, but have 170 hours of duty time. The pilot on that line will get credit for 85 hours of pay. This is a high time example.

Monthly guarantee for a CD line is 76 hours vs. 75 hours for line-holders and reserves. The April bid packet has 76 CD lines.

The 4:20 average minimum day and 1:3.5 TAFB (trip) rig haven't done anything for me.

Good luck...fly safe!

Slim said:

The 4:20 average minimum day and 1:3.5 TAFB (trip) rig haven't done anything for me.

just a thought...

The fact that the rigs aren't kicking in is an indication that they are working exactly as they should be.

You're right...they are.

That observation wasn't a complaint, but a statement of fact.

I ususally work trips which average better than five hours per day. If I'm away from home, then I want to fly, not sit in a hotel. That still occurs with the CHO and AGS layovers.

These rigs would be more effective if they were (a) accomodated at the beginning of the planning cycle instead of during a look-back; (b) on a daily vs. monthly basis, and (c) were hard minimums vs. the average minimum day.

Fly safe!

As far as the ATL Comair base, hear is the rumor that I heard.

Comair won't do it unless they get a guarentee from DCI to base at least 35 airplanes there for 10 years. So far, they are balking at that idea. Comair doesn't want to waste the money to open a base and have Delta change their mind in 6-9 months, or when the ASA contract is over, perhaps.

jetpilot--

I can't imagine Comair (or ASA) telling DCI "NO." Let's face it, we are owned top to bottom by DAL. If DCI want's a CMR crew base in ATL, even if for only 9 months, then DCI get's what it wants. Any other talk is speculation.

.....resistance if futile....

One of Comair's chief pilots, during a visit to a recent recurrent ground class stated exactly what JetPilot_Mike posted, with the exception being he said the reason Comair wasn't willing to commit was because they didn't want to disrupt their employees' personal lives by opening a domicile, then closing it six months later.

Estimating conservatively, Comair is spending $800,000 annually at the hotel they use in ATL. It is unlikely they would invest more than that to open a domicile in ATL.

Take this for whatever it's worth.

Latest resources

Back