Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sbav8r

I do deny them my essence
I saw a lycoming O-320-E2D in a 172N run counter clockwise. This was after not wanting to shut down when the mixture was pulled to cut off. If the mixture cable had been stretched, I would understand the aircraft not shutting down, but what would cause the engine to run in reverse?

Last edited:
I don't think an engine will run "in reverse." Were you looking at it from in front of it or the pilot's seat? :D

The first time I saw it I thought it was an optical illusion, then multiple people started asking the same question. It is most definitely running backwards for about 2 to 3 rotations.

Kickback.

Do you consider three revoloutions to be running?

How exactly does a mixture cable "stretch?"

When a cable stretches, it becomes longer than it origionally was. Its really a pretty simple concept.

Joking aside, I flew a 172 like that one time with a cable like that, when running 100 degrees LOP the mixture was almost all the way out and it was hard to get it to shut down.

When shut down properly the engine should not run backwards, the only thing I could think of is if they turned it off with the key. That will do it, leaves unburned fuel in cylinders then it will go either way, but its really not the best to shut them down that way.

Latest resources

Back