Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question about SWA and Bizjet drivers???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

singlespeed

building turbine time
Swerpipe says I am beating a dead horse but has there been many bizjet pilots getting interviews at SWA lately? I am wondering about this because it seems to me that a lot of military and 121 guys are getting the call. And I know that not many bizjet guys/gals come to flightinfo that I know of.

Also I heard this rumor that they are looking for time in type. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I know Chase is busy fighting off attacks for other flightinfo members but maybe he would have some insight. And maybe Cheesemo has some inside info too that he can share.

Much appreciated in advanced. Singlespeed

singlespeed said:
Swerpipe says I am beating a dead horse but has there been many bizjet pilots getting interviews at SWA lately? I am wondering about this because it seems to me that a lot of military and 121 guys are getting the call. And I know that not many bizjet guys/gals come to flightinfo that I know of.

Also I heard this rumor that they are looking for time in type. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I know Chase is busy fighting off attacks for other flightinfo members but maybe he would have some insight. And maybe Cheesemo has some inside info too that he can share.

Much appreciated in advanced. Singlespeed
I got 581.6 SIC in type (-800) and counting with no call. App Jan 04 and type (K&S) Apr 04. Informally from reading this board, it would seem the military and 121 are getting the interview. But what do I know?

Unit
Hoping to put a big "X" in front of my screen name....

By reading this board it would also seem only jet folks are getting called. I applied in '02, got typed in '03, did the e-app in Jan, 3000 PIC turbo prop all 121, named my first born son Herb, and still no call. Hmmmmmm......

P.S. I didn't really name my Herb, but if it would make a difference...

singlespeed

I just flew with two different captains this week that were pure Corporate/Bizjet guys! SWA really has a diverse pilot group. And I know of one pure corporate guy that was just interviewed last month with zero time in type.

Don't sweat it, if you have the required time, whether, military, civilian, turboprop, or jet, you are considered a viable option for an interview as far as I can tell. There are plenty of commuter guys with no jet time that are hired and plenty of military guys with no multi jet time that are hired, however. To the corporate bizjet types it may seem a smaller percentage that are hired. And you know what, it's probably very true too.

I figure the percentage of bizjet types are simply a smaller percentage of qualified pilots when you look at the big picture. Just think about how many pilots work in 121 and the military. There's simply a bigger pool to draw from.

Additionally, I feel it's probably harder for the corporate guys to break into a place like SWA because it usually takes an internal connection of sorts to write the letters and pull for ya, (at least before the big brain computer was put into place) And at least from my short exposure to flying bizjets, the employers are smaller (besides the fractionals) so it's harder to network.

Well, enough, ramblin. Good luck and stick with it.

Jim

Singlespeed

I know of part 94/91 folks getting the call so you're a PLAYERRRRRRR!!! if that applies. Hang in there....keep your focus on the next step in your career path as if SWA wasn't there...what would the next job step entail...regional carriers, national carriers...121 ops somewhere...make a move in that direction to enhance your resume...if one of those pans out then you're still moving along your career path....if you get both a SWA offer & one of these others then you're a blessed guy/gal...if the SWA offer doesn't arrive for some time but does come eventually & you're turned down then you will have to start at the next career step anyway...why not make plans toward that direction anyway & hope for the best when SWA calls? Improving one's resume isn't merely collecting flying time but collecting flying time that enhances your resume for that ultimate shot at SWA...plus getting hired at other places shows you are a desireable commodity at other places of employments. Just my $.02

Thanks Guys,

I have thought about plans for somewhere else. At my place of employment there is only so far up the ladder you can move. I’m sure this is typical for most bizjet folks. We have no training department and to get into CP position it would require a hit man. I wonder if that would come out in the background check?

I thought about going to a regional in the happenstance that SWA says sorry you’re not our guy. At least I could take positions in the training dept. or become an IOE CA in the future.

How would SWA look at a move out of a PIC 91 position into a FO position at a 121 operation? A move up or down?

singlespeed said:
How would SWA look at a move out of a PIC 91 position into a FO position at a 121 operation? A move up or down?
Good question...

I got hired coming from the all corporate route. I see quite a few corp/frac people running around too. There seems to be a lot of Lear Jet folks. I don't know if that means anything, or that I am just partial.

Corporate Puke

I am here after 14+ years flying Lears, Citations, Falcons & Galaxies.... keep the faith - we hire all types of pilot dweebs....

I've been at Netjets, so kind of corporate, for 5 years. Before that I was 121 at Mesaba. I am in the Canyon Blue SWA pool for class in January.

Latest resources

Back