Pt 135 - Director of Maintenance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PennEagle

Just looking for some quick advice, before I dive into the regs further.

I've been asked to become the Director of Maintenance (DofM) for a new start-up Pt 135 charter operation. The owner of this venture currently owns a Pt 141 Flight School, at which I am a working CFII, and is expanding into a 3 to 4 aircraft air taxi Pt 135 operation.

A quick tip toe through the Pt 135 regs reveals nothing about the quals required of a DofM; however, I see in the Pt 119 regs that a DofM for aircraft operating under Pt 135 needs to be at least an A&P plus some other items, unless waived by the FAA.

I am not an A&P, but I am an ex military maintenance officer and feel competent to do the job. That said, I left engineering behind to become a pilot a few years back, but would be willing to do this to help the owner out.

Question is..... Am I buying myself a heap load of trouble here, and is this responsibility likely to be a big drain on my time?

Just looking for thoughts; I've seen some pretty scary stories on here concerning Pt 135, and those who have fallen foul of the regs.

Thanks in advance....

Assuming you could get a waiver (AFS-200 I believe, assuming FSDO/CMO supports it)...

Make sure you like the way they do business. Your name in the Opspecs. If they end up loosing the certificate, you might be permanantly blacklisted from management position under part 121/135/125 etc. Gave me a whole new insight as to why some seem spring loaded to self disclosure process. Hang a pilot, or maybe get your * in a wringer.

That said, the CP/DO thing has gotten me out of an unemployment crack more than once. Once you are in, typically you are grandfathered in the future, regardless of changes.

Good luck. If you dont take that job, perhaps you could get a job at the local carnival guessing the weight of fat ladies. Easier to please, and more satisfied customers.

Latest resources

Back