• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA: Tower closed courtesy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the key word here is AVL. Or more to the point, ATL. I don't think they know how to give a hold for release. We at PSA are used to getting it everywhere else we go to when to tower is closed (if they even have a tower). Yet ATL seems to think that they have to shut down the entire aviation system just to get one departure out of an uncontrolled field. Why is that?

"I'm afraid you're mistaken. My name is ROGER MURDOCK, I'm an airline pilot."

I couldn't help it, I've got to correct you! I believe he says, "My name is ROGER MURDOCK, I'm the copilot." He puts a weird emphasis on 'co'. Anyway, it was another defeat for First Officers everyehere.

It wasn't a secret BoilerUp, and whoever Willnotfly4free is. (*nevermind I put 2&2 together)

I still disagree with both of you.

Last edited:
Metro752 said:
I still disagree with both of you.

Disagreement is fine and dandy.

Its when you make an argument without supportive facts, have people challenge your position, and then respond with personal attacks that make you look ridiculously inexperienced that I take issue with. It reminds me of my own posts here just 3-4 years ago.

You still haven't answered if you ever took the "unnecessary risk" of landing with a tailwind.

Perhaps we'll just let that sleeping dog lie...

I couldn't help it, I've got to correct you! I believe he says, "My name is ROGER MURDOCK, I'm the copilot." He puts a weird emphasis on 'co'. Anyway, it was another defeat for First Officers everyehere.

Now I have to watch it again. Darn!

Stupid question:

Why are Metro752's comments quoted by Willnotfly4free, shown as "Joliet"?

No need to apologize... just wondering if it was some kind of glitch or not.

Sorry to RamX in PGV the other day. tryed to tell my Captain it would shut the airport down but he said WHAT?? We missed our void time anyway and ATC spanked us with a 30 minute hold. So, Sorry to RamX and the corporate A/C. I tryed to explain it but he said we need our slot!!!

PSA needs to review the proper way to get a clearance when the control tower is closed. You should wait until you are NUMBER ONE for departure before giving center a call, not while you're sitting at the gate. When you get that clearance, you close the entire airport to other IFR arrivals/departures. I held short for 10 minutes in MGM this morning waiting for PSA to finally make its way out to the runway. This is not the first time this has happened this month and PSA has a reputation for doing this in AVL as well. I know most of you guys know better; Please spread the word to those who don't.

Since your calling out PSA.

Kinda like going in to AVL late at night with the tower closed and having to hold over Sugarloaf VOR while ASA does the full approach on a night where its CLR and 10.

I know its in the OpsSpec for them, but damn!

So I guess I can see how you feel.

But really, don't we all get paid block or better?

Latest resources

Back