Procedural Question: Fire at rotation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bin LAAidoff

At brand X, Y and Z, on B727, B737, MD80, it has been procedure to fly the airplane, clean up, then go for the memory items, followed by the abnormal/non-normal or emergency checklist, followed by the normal checklist.

ie. Positive Rate, Gear Up <silence the bell>, flaps 5, flaps 1, flaps up, <abnormal memory items/checklists> <after takeoff or climb checklist>, <approach checklist> <before landing checklist>

Logic is/was that fighting a fire etc below 1000' might to more harm than good. Sure, fire is burning, but with APU or engine, the sensing is on the engine case, and might not yet be widespread, or even a fire yet.

Deviate from the engine out profile/track, or pull the wrong fire handle, and many bad things happen. Let it burn for a minute, and handle the problem with a more clear head. Opinions may vary, but that was policy. One company did allow subject to Captain's discretion, accomplishing engine fire memory items below 1000'. My guess was that was compromise to a tastes great, less filling arguement in the training center.

First, I liked your old line of avtars better FlyChicaga !

I agree 100% with bin LAAidoff fly the plane first don't rush too much "relax - have cigar" as one of my old instructors used to say. As usual the procedure varies among different airlines. Boeings current 737 manuals only include the QRH procedure for APU fire without any further recommendations for when to initiate the drill or how to sequence it with other tasks. Boeing does recommended a sequence for engine fire on takeoff which is used by many carriers for both engine and APU fire. It goes as follows:

Accomplish the appropriate recall checklist items as soon as the airplane is under control, the gear has been retracted and a safe altitude (typically 400 feet AGL or above) has been attained.
Accomplish the reference checklist items after the flaps have been retracted and conditions permit.

Many carriers will do this in the following manner:
1) Silence the bell
2) Positive climb gear up
3) Fly the airplane, maintain situational awareness
4) Safe altitude - minimum - 400 feet agl
5) QRH recall items
6) Accelerate, retract flaps
7) Read QRH memory items and clean up items
8) After takeoff checklist
9) Return for landing as soon as possible

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea FlyChicaga!

Another relevant question in this situation is when or how to talk to ATC?
Here is a situation that sometimes occurs in the sim:
1) Some problem is introduced during rotation
2) PF is very busy trying to fly e.g. a complicated departure with high terrain
3) PNF starts talking to ATC before the plane is under control or urgent items are addressed
4) The instructor throws out some "bait" - realistic questions about vectors, intentions and so on, (which and eager to help ATC controller might do)
5) The PNF takes the "bait" and starts a long conversation at the expense of his/her situational awareness. Crew awareness is temporarily lost and the PF is now flying single pilot without help to set radials, HDG bus, NAV FRQ., check the chart, altitudes and so on….

The point: Teach the crew to prioritize and eliminate to keep the workload at a manageable level. A crew that can control the workload will often perform much better.
A god briefing could include words like: I will need all the attention you can give me if we have a failure on take-off. I get very jealous if a PNF turns away to make a premature prolonged ATC call during a critical high workload emergency.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are designing an interesting program - a new jet training curriculum? Would like to hear more about it.

Are you familiar with the new JAA MCC requirement? (MCC = Multi Crew Co-operation)
This was introduced in the late 1990s and sounds similar to what you are doing. It is briefly described in JAR-FCL-1 on the JAA web site: www.jaa.nl.
It is a new training requirement with 25 hrs classroom & 20 hrs sim which must be completed before a pilot can get his/hers first JAA typerating on a multi-crew airplane.

PM me if you need more information (will be travelling and back next weekend).

Realistic Emergencies

The best emergencies are ones that are more likely to happen... How likely is an APU fire at/immediately after V1? Who has the APU running for takeoff? Nobody. In fact, it has probably been shut down for at least a couple of minutes (if you taxi w/ one shut down) or 10-15 minutes if you start them both up. An emergency that doesn't affect the handling characteristics of an aircraft can come in many forms... how about an AC Pack overheat? ADI/PFD failure? Generator Failure? Door Open Light? etc, etc. SIM emergencies are not best learned from when the SIM instructor is trying to "trick" the student.

Good Luck in developing your program.

I'll second FL510GV.

Why would you have APU running on takeoff? While it's a captain's discretion, APU usually comes off as a part of before take-off checklist. You want a challenge prior to V1? Do things like electrical problems just prior to V1, or even a simple DOOR light coming on. Those are a lot more realistic scenarios than APU fire at V1.

Have fun with your program. :cool:

Last edited:
Not too familiar with the 737, but on the CRJ we always have the APU running on takeoff. It comes off with the climb check. We trained for APU fires on takeoff. Again, could be completely different on the 737 though.

I agree that you can come up with a more realistic problem than an APU fire after takeoff, but you need to come up with some better ideas than a door light. If I get a door light after takeoff, I might address it shortly after I take a leak, drink some coffee, visit with the flight attendants, etc. That is not an emergency.

I know someone mentioned it before, but why would you have the APU running just after takeoff? The 727 won't have the APU running after takeoff unless someone screwed up really bad. It is not an inflight APU. It would have to inadvertently be left on and I would hope they would not follow the proposed," Gear up, flaps up " idea since the APU is in the wheel well. (I know you were asking about the 737, but someone mentioned the 727 too)

On the dc-9-32 and the 717, it is common to leave the APU running for takeoff, but obnly when the wx sucks. It is used as a backup in case of a lost generator during those really low takeoffs...

Latest resources

Back