Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Hey guys, I need to know if any one out there uses their own aircraft for TDY's. I understand the aero club costs and reimbursement but what about a private aircraft. The way I remember the reimbursement is up to the cost of the ticket. What if you have two to three traveling?? I own a Six-300 and have been traveling quite a bit.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I've done it several times. The reimbursement rate is actually over $1/mile. I'm sure your commander isn't up for that. I've gotten reimbursed for the cost of the airplane tickets for myself and my pax, plus other costs you save (rental car, hotel, etc.) by not using the airlines, if your going to a remote enough location. They will need to cut an "advantageous to the gov't" order, specifying what you will be reimbursed.

Have fun!

My unit stated they would only pay for the operational expenses incurred on the aircraft (fuel,mx,etc.) but i wasnt on "advantageous to the gov't orders" maybe thats the difference..

I used my aircraft a couple of times and got the full reimbursement including tiedown fee's. It has been a few years, but I think even though it is legal by the JFTR, the command who controls the money has to authorize it.

My unit stated they would only pay for the operational expenses incurred on the aircraft (fuel,mx,etc.) but i wasnt on "advantageous to the gov't orders" maybe thats the difference..

well my voucher just paid out. . .and it paid quite well, I'll be using the G36 a little more often. .

Hey guys, I need to know if any one out there uses their own aircraft for TDY's. I understand the aero club costs and reimbursement but what about a private aircraft. The way I remember the reimbursement is up to the cost of the ticket. What if you have two to three traveling?? I own a Six-300 and have been traveling quite a bit.

Thanks

Tim

Our unit is telling the one guy whom has one that they pay the lesser of commercial ticket or cost to drive..although I am sure that is not correct...the IDIOTS in travel pay that run the back-end of today's AF are saying that at Keesler.

The commander has the right to spend whatever is advantageous to the government. I never got reimbursed for the private airplane rate, but for the cheapest or most cost effective way the unit would have done it normally. If they would normally tell you to drive, then that is what I would expect to get paid. If they would normally fly you, then I should get the price of the airplane ticket.

On a trip to the altitude chamber at Holloman, I went with three other guys. If we didn't fly Vipers, we would fly commercial to El Paso, rent a car to drive to Holloman, spend the night at Holloman, then return the opposite way. I got paid the equivalent of 4 tickets, rental car, and lodging. We also saved the gov't a day of per diem and availability. This came pretty close to the private aircraft mileage rate, but not quite.

The commander has the right to spend whatever is advantageous to the government. I never got reimbursed for the private airplane rate, but for the cheapest or most cost effective way the unit would have done it normally. If they would normally tell you to drive, then that is what I would expect to get paid. If they would normally fly you, then I should get the price of the airplane ticket.

I would second this and to add one thing because I got burnt on this long time ago. Make sure you see it in writing that you will be paid for personal aircraft travel. In other words, if you don’t see it on the orders, don’t do it! In my case I mistakenly took their word that I would be paid for personal aircraft travel and then guess what? Yep they reneged on that promise when it came time to pay. Now part of the reason I took their word was because I had to make the personal aircraft arrangement no less then 2 weeks prior to travel. However my unit is notorious for not writing/approving orders until days before travel (don’t get me started down that road). So basically I could not see the order prior to making my arrangements. When I requested an ammendment…………..“nope were not paying you for personal aircraft travel”. My advice may sound like common sence to some, but just wanted to let you know that not all units are open to personal aircraft travel and to again reinforce the idea of getting things in writing before you do them.

If you got it in writing and/or paid out, more power to you, glad to hear someone got the $$$$. I lost $500 on the darn thing. Good luck

I routinely fly on short notice with ticket prices around 12-1400 round trip. I can fly there for a third of the cost round trip. I have no problem getting funds as long as the JTR authorizes the mode of travel. In this case it does. I was just wondering what the reimbursement was. I suspect they will give me the cost of the ticket which works for me. That will help pay for maintenance for the hours I flew.

There should be a way to delete double posts!

Double post has been deleated!!:uzi:

Latest resources

Back