Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
Can a prospective employer blindly call other companies and inquire as to whether you have applied to them or not?

You ain't got no privacy when you perform public service

Why the heck not??? That's rediculous to be up in your anal to hide whatever you're doing!!! I'm sick - sick - sick of our screamin' babies that somehow think you can just secretly go around and do public work and if somebody wants to check up on you -you scream your privacy is being invaded - c'mon, get a grip!!! If you're gonna be a Captain, you're gonna be in the public eye. Captains and Presidents don't have no private life - give it up.

Would you want to work for a company that is seeking that information in that manner?

Saabslime said:
Can a prospective employer blindly call other companies and inquire as to whether you have applied to them or not?
My first question would be: Why would they care? Did this happen to you? Who exactly would they call?

If I had gotten a call like that in HR, I would not have touched that with a 10 foot pole.

Now, that is not to say that things like this do not come up in casual conversation between HR people. But usually it is because the person was really weird in the interview. Names were not usually mentioned, but you would be surprised at the number of times the story would ring true for another HR person and everyone would know it was the same man/woman. I routinely ask HR people all the time to tell me their strangest stories and I use them in illustrations when I am teaching my classes on what NOT to do in an interview! :D

Kathy

OK how'about this one..

I get a resume I call the references nobody wants to talk about you.
What's up with that?

Tired Soul said:
OK how'about this one..

I get a resume I call the references nobody wants to talk about you.
What's up with that?
Were the references former or current employers in a supervisory capacity? If so, that would be where the problem would be, in my opinion. Due to the litigious nature of our society, it has been drilled into many managers that they cannot comment on an employee regarding work performance.

I always tell my clients not to use managers or supervisors because of the legal situations that may arise. You can utilize co-workers, vendors to whom you outsource maintenance (if in a corporate or flight instruction environment), perhaps members of the union MEC, etc. These people are under no legal obligation to the company and can say whatever they want.

Be cautious though. Make sure that you have agreement from the people you list that they will be your reference. Make sure these people have a copy of your resume and let them know which companies you have applied with so they are not caught off guard. Also, make sure these people can talk intelligently about you. You are judged by the people you list.

Kathy

Any more, most HR departments will only verify employment (previous or current). They cannot reveal what in your personnel files, from what I understand, other than employment status. In this day and age of useless lawsuits, they'd be fools to give out more than that.

Second, who would really care if you're applying elsewhere (other than your current employer)?

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back