Printing from wireless laptop.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetLinkin Park

May as well follow up my LCD/Plasma thread with another tech question. You guys seem to share my interest in electronics. Anyway, I have a laptop that's wirelessly connected via PCI to router. Every time I need to print, I have to take laptop downstairs and hook up via USB. Is there a way I can wirelessly print from anywhere in my home to my brand new Epson printer? Does the printer have to be connected to a desktop/laptop PC to do so? I think that a print server is what I'm looking for, but not quite sure. Anyone else print using a similar method?

Keep in mind I own only a laptop, no secondary desktop PC connections. Thanks!

I can think of two ways to do this but I'm not an expert by any means. If the printer and the laptop are bluetooth enabled you should be able to do it. What i do is have a network with a desktop that is pluged into the printer. I don't really know what a print server would do.

Look into an AirPort Express by Apple. You can set up a wireless network that even a non-network capable printer can use to behave like a network printer.

It has a USB port on it that you plug the printer into. You then plug it into the wall and voila - a wireless network with a printer on it. It'll support up to 10 wireless connections too.

Works on 802.11b and g and most features are operable on both PCs and Macs. It can be used for a ton of other stuff too - like cerating aireless network in your hotel room when you don't want to have to remain plugged into the ethernet cable. Just plug the Express into the wall and connect the internet connection and you've got your wireless network in your room.

Hope this helps.

TIS

If the printer is hooked up to a PC and if you're using Windows XP this is actually VERY easy. If so, from the home pc, go to Control Panel and click on Printers/Faxes. Right click on the printer and enable printer sharing from the Printer Preferences menu.

Then go to the laptop and run the add printer wizard. Click on Network printer and follow the menus. I'm not at home now or I would give you step by step. Widows help is a good source or you can pm me and I'll try to walk you through it.

You DONT need to buy anything else to do this as long as the printer is hooked up to a PC that is left on.

If there is no extra PC, it's still possible, I think that a wireless USB port would do the trick but I'm sure that those experts at best buy could sell you what you need.

Last edited:
PalmettoPilot said:
I'm sure that those experts at best buy could sell you what you need.

right

i used to work there back in the day and they'll sell ya crap you dont need

as far as i know, as palmetto stated you will need a PC

Hey guys, if I understand his original post corectly, he has ONLY the laptop. He's gonna need something to make use of the wireless connection he can transmit from his PCI wireless card.

And just for the record, the AirPort Express is basically a wireless print server that can do a lot more than just that. You can get'em cheaper and uglier for about $70 on the low side and about 110 (plus tax or shipping, or both) o the high side.

TIS

TIS said:
Hey guys, if I understand his original post corectly, he has ONLY the laptop. He's gonna need something to make use of the wireless connection he can transmit from his PCI wireless card.

And just for the record, the AirPort Express is basically a wireless print server that can do a lot more than just that. You can get'em cheaper and uglier for about $70 on the low side and about 110 (plus tax or shipping, or both) o the high side.

TIS

isn't that what I basically said

You need a print server. If your printer is right next to your router, then you can plug the print server directly into your router. If it is not near your router, then you would need a wireless print server, which would be more expensive.

Latest resources

Back