• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pray this doesn't happen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah that does blow because if and when they do experience shortages they are basically cutting themselves off from a whole heap of qualified applicants. I bet there are plenty of guys here that would take a job with qantas and would live in Oz if they had the chance.

I understand they want to give aussies a fair shake first but we get he chance to come here and work for a US carrier with our ICAO ratings so why shouldn't they as well??.

Anyway, thats my rant. :)

If I could apply/interview with qantas with an FAA ATP I'd do it in a heartbeat. The women is canadian and I was looking at AC's req's but they too require a transport canada ATP. That could be done but I don't know if I could actually move to Canada. I enjoy making fun of her side of the family too much.

Question about flying down under ... do you fly the ILS inverted so the needles are correct or do you just reverse sense the glideslope?

That is nothing new for foreign carriers. How do you think most foreign airlines crew their airplanes? Training is expensive in the US, but obscenely expensive outside and there aren't many jobs to build the experience for foreign pilots outside the US. It is common to get hired off the street, get the ratings up to commerial multi, and then become an FO in a great big jet. At least currently I think they at least have most of the 250 hours actually in airplanes. The simulator is no replacement for experience. 1500 hours isn't really much in the way of experience for that matter. I flew as an RJ captain with enough 500 hour guys/ gals who could fly the hell out of the sim, yet had no idea why it is a bad idea to fly through a cumulous cloud going over 300 knots. There were many, many other things that I'm sure if they really thought about it they knew, but that lack of experience sure didn't keep them from attempting many stupid things. I can't believe I was the only captain to see this kind of thing on a regular basis. I'm surprised there haven't been more accidents at the regionals or the foreign carriers. I guess the majority of accidents out there are with the foreign carriers. At least the majority of low time regional pilots here are getting some experience flying real airplanes around for a little while before strapping on a bunch passengers.

With the current economics of Regional FO's (know even within ALPA as "ALPA eating their young", their is no alternative to hiring low time FO's. As it is, if I can not work at Mesaba, I certainly can not go to some other crappy Regional for poverty level first year FO pay. Remember guys, and remember ALPA: Yes, our current management teams mostly all suck extremely, but it is utimately ALPA pilots voting in contracts that relegate FO's into poverty. I believe the expression is : "I've got mine."

Latest resources

Back