Plasma or LCD???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetLinkin Park

Been looking around and was surprised to find that the 37 & 42 inch plasma TV's are a lot less than similar LCD models. I thought it would be the other way around before I started shopping. My local Best Buy has both a 37 and 42 inch plasma for around $2400. However, $2400 on the LCD side will only fetch 30/32 inch sets.

Anyone have a flat panel LCD or plasma that they can recommend? The prices are dropping monthly and I'm holding out for the 42 inch sets to decrease considerably in price. I plan to wall mount- any advice on the process greatly appreciated.

I strongly recommend buying from someone other than Best Buy. Their warranty policies are abysmal, and their salespeople are some of the least knowledgeable I've dealt with. They're an awful, awful place to buy a big-ticket item.

Circuit City gets my vote.

miles,

Yes. That is basically the same TV from Panasonic. It is this year's version. Mine is last year's, but very little has changed.

Excellent quality and value. I highly recommend it.

LCD lasts longer. Buy a plasma and it'll look fantastic but you'll replace in several years. Buy a good LCD and you will have it a while.

Go for the plasma for cost I say. They'll both be cheaper soon.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the benefit of LCD televisions is that they don't suffer from "burn-in", which is an issue with plasma televisions.

A friend of mine was showing off his HD plasma to me about six months ago, and when he put on an HD channel on his cable, I innocently remarked about the burn-in on the sides of the picture... The result of his not using the artificial "widening" feature of the TV when watching normal 4:3 aspect broadcasts (the gray bars on the left and right had been allowed to stay on for a sufficiently long period of time as to leave a permanent impression on the screen). Unfortunately, he'd not noticed this himself so I was treated to a stream of "colorful metaphors" as it sank in... he'd managed to ruin his $3000 television in a space of about four months. You can also see this phenomenon on CRT televisions and projection sets, especially in hotels/bars/etc. where they leave the set on the same channel for long periods of time... There was one 4:3 projection set in the lobby of a hotel I used to frequent where the CNN logo and the crawl on the bottom of the screen were permanently etched in the screen, so you'd see a discolored area all across the bottom of the screen and a "CNN" outline on the bottom right no matter what channel you were watching. You can create the same problem on TV's with extensive playing of a video game that has a score area or other thing on the screen that doesn't change much.

LCD televisions are similar to laptop screens and flat panel displays for your computer and aren't prone to these issues... At least that's my understanding.

Get a DLP, plasma is old tech, LCD is better but far too expensive still, DLP is the best value for money for a skinny bigscreen.

I am familiar with the burn-in, and we try to minimize our exposure to this by only having the TV on while we are actually watching, and then using this TV for primarily HD viewing. I guess we'll see. But then again, by the time this becomes an issue (hopefully), there will be a new latest, greatest technological advancement that I will HAVE to have...:cool: :)

I agree that burn-in is a large drawback to plasma sets. I've been aware of the effect, but thought the condition took an extended period of time to be viewable. Like Yank, we'd be sure to take good care of the television, but it's still a concern. At the same time, 42 inch plasma are getting really close to price range and are tough to pass by. I guess time will tell. We've got a month or two before we're done renovating new home. I'm hoping prices continue to fall for now.

What about wall mounts? How did you guys effectively hide cords/cables? Specifically the power cord...

Latest resources

Back