PlaneSense / Alpha Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky4

I just saw this company on FL350 looking for pilots.

$27k for FO's and if your good and they like you, you may make Captain and make $38k working 6 and 4 going to a 7 and 7 in May.

How are these crews affording to live in this economy and in the cities they are hiring in, FXE, PDK and PSM?

Not looking for a bashing I just can't see how these pilots can do this.

Am I reading something wrong?

$27k for FO's and if your good and they like you, you may make Captain and make $38k working 6 and 4 going to a 7 and 7 in May.

How are these crews affording to live in this economy and in the cities they are hiring in, FXE, PDK and PSM?

PSM is cheap and you still earn more than you would during your first year or two at a regional. Hopefully the pax tip well...

I start training with Alpha soon and can't wait to be making the $27k. I'll be out-earning my buddies at ASA by about $5,000 and won't have to deal with half the crap they do.

I'll report back in a year and tell you how I survived.

I start training with Alpha soon and can't wait to be making the $27k. I'll be out-earning my buddies at ASA by about $5,000 and won't have to deal with half the crap they do.

Wow, just think of all the jobs you won't be qualified for by the time you want to leave Alpha.

I'd take the 'pay cut' to fly something with two jet-a burning engines.

Wow, just think of all the jobs you won't be qualified for by the time you want to leave Alpha.

I'd take the 'pay cut' to fly something with two jet-a burning engines.

I'll take one jet-a burning engine and a company I like over two (or three, or eight) engines and a job I despise any day. I'd rather bag groceries than fly for an airline right now.

I know your point is that once I'm ready to leave all I have is single engine time, but I don't really care. I didn't pick this company because I wanted help getting to the "big iron." By the time I'm ready to leave I will have already been flying the grobs for quite a while anyway.

I'll take one jet-a burning engine and a company I like over two (or three, or eight) engines and a job I despise any day. I'd rather bag groceries than fly for an airline right now.

I know your point is that once I'm ready to leave all I have is single engine time, but I don't really care. I didn't pick this company because I wanted help getting to the "big iron." By the time I'm ready to leave I will have already been flying the grobs for quite a while anyway.
That's pretty bold for someone who hasn't worked at a company to say. It's a good attitude to have starting out but you might be dissapointed after the initial excitement wears off, whether it is this job or your next one.

Nobody survives on 27k a year living a high QOL unless they are subsidized by a spouse, parents or trust fund. Certainly not in the northeast. Currently, the guys I know at a few regionals are making more 2nd year than a pilot at Alpha will make. All while building multi-engine jet time. I'm sure there are positives to pilots in the experience both types of operations offer. All that said, I've talked to pilots at the top of the Alpha "seniority list" who can't afford a decent home if they live in Mass. as it's a very high cost living area. Not everyone wants to live 45 minutes north of PSM.

Mr. I.

That's pretty bold for someone who hasn't worked at a company to say...

....can't afford a decent home if they live in Mass. as it's a very high cost living area. Not everyone wants to live 45 minutes north of PSM.

Mr. I.

Yep, its pretty bold.

Cost of living is a little cheaper in Atlanta, where I'll be.

Latest resources

Back