Planes with maintenance problems have flown anyway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Profit first, safety second

ATA spokeswoman was quoted as saying airlines put safety first. She was obviously taken out of context and if fully quoted would have added if the airline can make a profit. Airlines are profit first and safety second.

No mention in the article of the Continental branded Gulfstream Airlines flying CAL passengers with automotive parts or when SWA was flying with engine pylon exhaust shielding made from old bar-be-que grills? And how about the reports of CAL pilots verbally telling mx instead of writing up the problem or getting pressured by the gate agent to put it on a sticky note for the next morning crews to take to the hub?

At least the French, Japanese, and Chinese throw these type of management, pilots, and mx people in jail after the crash.

Next time the Chief Pilot is three way conference called into your MX discussion know you are setting yourself up for failure.

The FAA responses in that article are fkning unbelievable.

The public should be outraged reading this stuff. I wondr ifthis will get more media attention. And the doubling of outsourced work to these third world shops.

I love the 2-month "towel rag" fix. wow....

The stupidest comment of all - how can you even compare the engineering, design and certification of an aircraft to sending checks to third world maintence facilities with mechanics not even certified..

"Just as aviation safety is in no way compromised by allowing U.S. carriers to fly aircraft made in Europe, in Brazil or in Canada, safety is in no way compromised by allowing other countries' facilities, which perform to our safety standards, to conduct repair and maintenance on our aircraft,"

Anyone remember that scene in the movie "Fight Club" when Edward Norton is explaining the cost benefit analysis of doing a product recall? Something about the average cost of a out of court settlement versus the cost of doing a proper repair? That's exactly what our managment it doing. If its cheaper to pay a fine and/or pay familes of crash victims as a result of a crash then why bother doing the proper work on the aircraft? Death to all lawyers and accountants.

Anyone remember that scene in the movie "Fight Club" when Edward Norton is explaining the cost benefit analysis of doing a product recall? Something about the average cost of a out of court settlement versus the cost of doing a proper repair? That's exactly what our managment it doing. If its cheaper to pay a fine and/or pay familes of crash victims as a result of a crash then why bother doing the proper work on the aircraft? Death to all lawyers and accountants.

And this is why excessive torts exist in this country. The lawyers and people who sue get a bad name (and some should), but they need to exist to counter sleazy MGT.

I've been told to take aircraft with maintenance discrepancies, some quite serious (no power to Essential bus, hi stage bleed leak and Overheat indication, etc ... ) usually due to inexperienced mechanics not understanding the MEL. In each case I politely held my ground while someone in authority yelled. When I offered them the opportunity to sign the Captain's line on the release and fly the airplane themselves, they always found a reason to decline.

Of course, when things went wrong, and they did for guys who got pushed into bad decisions, the Company would run to the FSDO and report, claiming immunity for the sole source report and throw the Captain's Certificate under the bus in order to preserve their Certificate. Captain would end up with a LOW to a 60 day suspension and a black mark on his record that the airline would only be so happy to report under PRIA.

Yet, if a pilot were to report a discrepancy to the FAA, he'd be getting unscheduled check rides within the week.

They tell me things have changed over there since I left. Still the lesson remains, the best safety device on the airplane ... The Parking Brake.

Last edited:
Next time the Chief Pilot is three way conference called into your MX discussion know you are setting yourself up for failure.

Lucky, you got that right!

It's either on the MEL and gets deferred OR it gets written up and fixed!

PERIOD!

NOT open for discussion!

A CP in call about a maintenance issue. Yep, that is a RED FLAG FOR SURE and I wouldn't even be on that call!

Latest resources

Back