Pinnacle vs. Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vandal

I'm a happy reserve bum right now on active duty military orders, pulling around 60k a year, going to be an aircraft commander in a few weeks. Just got a call from Pinnacle today asking if I still wanted to interview (sent in app last year) So if you guys were in my shoes would you hack away at the air force stuff and try to forego the regionals or jump in with Pinnacle to try and build time quicker towards that FedEx/SWA/whatever golden ticket. Any thoughts?

This thread will probably degenerate pretty quick, but hopefully I can get some advice before that...

P.S. Not Flamebait.

I'm a happy reserve bum right now on active duty military orders, pulling around 60k a year, going to be an aircraft commander in a few weeks. Just got a call from Pinnacle today asking if I still wanted to interview (sent in app last year) So if you guys were in my shoes would you hack away at the air force stuff and try to forego the regionals or jump in with Pinnacle to try and build time quicker towards that FedEx/SWA/whatever golden ticket. Any thoughts?

This thread will probably degenerate pretty quick, but hopefully I can get some advice before that...

P.S. Not Flamebait.

Easy answer...you are in the unusual position of having the opportunity to abuse a regional (instead of vice versa).

Take the job, get trained, get consolidated, then go back on orders for a few more years.

With luck you can go right from the guard to a major. If not, wait until you can hold captain, go back to PNCL for the upgrade, get your 1300 pic, and move one!

Easy answer...you are in the unusual position of having the opportunity to abuse a regional (instead of vice versa).

Take the job, get trained, get consolidated, then go back on orders for a few more years.

With luck you can go right from the guard to a major. If not, wait until you can hold captain, go back to PNCL for the upgrade, get your 1300 pic, and move one!

Good answer. Finish initial and IOE and after a month or two of reserve (to get 100 hrs) go on military leave. you will continue to move up in seniority so if you decide to return you will trod over those behind you.

Go through training, get proficient. Then work as many AF days as you can. Once on 2nd year pay, work the airline more to get your total time up faster. Once able to upgrade work the airline more to get the PIC time up. Use the reserves to your advantage

P.S. Not Flamebait.
obviously stay with what ur doing! stay away from pinnacle or regionals period! most of fedex and ups is military anyway... just stay with what ur doing and market yourself. A friend of mine is in the same boat and he knows about 10 or so guys in his unit that fly for fedex and do reserves on the side and he's gonna be set goin to fedex because of that. Goodluck!!!

60k as a bum???? Dang - I shoulda went 130s! If youre happy doing that and are close to upgrade - keep doing it! Unless you're flying under 400 hours a year in the guard/reserve, then going to a regional is definately not worth it.

Vandal,
Fly the Herk as much as you can, and get designated an AC ASAP and log all the military PIC time that you can! Stay away from the regionals if at all possible. PCL is in the middle of some pretty messy union/mgt. contract negotiations and my airline was just purchased by the holding company that owns Pinnacle Airlines, Inc.
I'm biased, and I'll admit it. The military is the best place to get trained to fly airplanes, best place to operate airplanes and having seen both sides of the fence. The civilian world is completely jacked up(airline industry). I am not saying that there isn't good pilots that are civilian trained, because there are some very talented and well-trained people. I just prefered the military way of doing things. Good luck! STAY IN THE HERK!

Do what ever is going to get you the PIC time faster. Remember airlines like to hire airline pilots. You can get on with a regional if that is all that is offering, take a leave of absence and come back later with a better QOL. If you are upgrading in the -130, it will take a long time to get 1500 or so PIC in the Herk as a bum...unless your squadron is more active than mine. Yeah a few desert rotations will help time building quick. Worst case is nothing happpens with getting on with a major and at least you had a senority number at a regional and come back to something better like a Captain slot or high FO position. PM me if you have any questions. I just did the year mil leave thing at my old airline until I got the SWA gig. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back