Pinnacle, pilots union meet with mediators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

Northwest Airlines feeder carrier Pinnacle Airlines and its pilots' union met Tuesday with federal mediators to speed up contract negotiations, both parties said. Meetings with the National Mediation Board also are scheduled for today and Thursday. The Air Line Pilots Association and Memphis, Tenn.-based Pinnacle, an exclusive provider of regional service for Eagan-based Northwest, have been negotiating since January 2005. The stakes were raised this summer when Pinnacle said Northwest wouldn't settle a new flight contract unless it has a pilot labor contract in place, said Wakefield Gordon, head of the local Air Line Pilots Association at Pinnacle. Pinnacle employs roughly 1,200 pilots. Pinnacle made its last formal contract offer to pilots in May.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/15615810.htm

The stakes were raised this summer when Pinnacle said Northwest wouldn't settle a new flight contract unless it has a pilot labor contract in place...

OH NO! What ever will you guys do!?!

I hope they also have scope protection, and demand that Pinnacle pilots will perform all flying by Pinnacle Airlines or Pinnacle holding corporation.

------>

Historically, the pact between the two has been that Northwest provides Pinnacle with planes and guarantees a certain level of business, but Pinnacle can fly for no other carrier.

Under the new deal, Pinnacle expects to be free to seek other business, creating potential, Trenary says, for Pinnacle to become a larger airline.

"Let's just say, things could be very good," he said.

Pinnacle plans to create a subsidiary airline to cover the outside growth. It is promising its pilot union all Northwest flights, including any new routes Northwest adds as it emerges from bankruptcy.

That rankles the pilots, who feel growth would be siphoned off to other pilots. "They have informed us at the negotiating table that those flights in the subsidiary will be manned by whatever pilots they wish, including nonunion pilots," said Wakefield Gordon, chairman of the Pinnacle master executive council. "We want our job security guaranteed from Pinnacle Corp. (the airline's holding company) as well as Pinnacle Airlines Inc."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/business_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_441_5020633,00.html

I hope they also have scope protection, and demand that Pinnacle pilots will perform all flying by Pinnacle Airlines or Pinnacle holding corporation.

------>

Historically, the pact between the two has been that Northwest provides Pinnacle with planes and guarantees a certain level of business, but Pinnacle can fly for no other carrier.

Under the new deal, Pinnacle expects to be free to seek other business, creating potential, Trenary says, for Pinnacle to become a larger airline.

"Let's just say, things could be very good," he said.

Pinnacle plans to create a subsidiary airline to cover the outside growth. It is promising its pilot union all Northwest flights, including any new routes Northwest adds as it emerges from bankruptcy.

That rankles the pilots, who feel growth would be siphoned off to other pilots. "They have informed us at the negotiating table that those flights in the subsidiary will be manned by whatever pilots they wish, including nonunion pilots," said Wakefield Gordon, chairman of the Pinnacle master executive council. "We want our job security guaranteed from Pinnacle Corp. (the airline's holding company) as well as Pinnacle Airlines Inc."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/business_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_441_5020633,00.html

Those are very troubling words about scope in that article. I hope every single pilot has seen the example of what gayjets and other alter ego companies due to the existing pilot group.

This for me would be the single most important section of negotiations! Make sure you let your reps know if you feel the same.

Does anyone know... and I don't really want to bring this up.... but does Pinnacle still have the Saab on their operating certificate?

Those are very troubling words about scope in that article. I hope every single pilot has seen the example of what gayjets and other alter ego companies due to the existing pilot group.

This for me would be the single most important section of negotiations! Make sure you let your reps know if you feel the same.

Remember what mesa did with freedom? They "took one for the team" and signed a crappy contract to get scope.

History repeats itself...

Hey now...I feel left out :-( What about me?
Just kidding. Thanks for the bump. Interesting to see this happening. I wish you all the best, still many good friends over there.

Do you guys think the the conference call will be good news or bad news...my bet is bad news.........my mec speaks for me

Latest resources

Back