Pinnacle Continues Hiring and Lowering Standards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
PLC, thank you for recognizing my happiness, it makes my day. I have never said you should be happy that is your choice. I have only said I am happy. I would change little in my career and I am coming into retirement in good shape. I am still living my childhood dream.

Yippie-

If you are happy and content making less than 100k why are you trying to concince us....that you are?

What is happiness?

Who is convincing anyone? Who is to define my happiness? is it money?, is it looking back on your career and seeing something positive about everything you have done, is it where I live? I love YIP, flying old war birds, changing weather,reasonable cost of living, squadron reunions. Again who is to define my happiness beyond me? If you would not be happy as me, then you should not be me. But to say I should be unhappy by your standards is not anyone's to judge. I do not judge anyone else’s happiness; therefore no one should judge mine. I have much to be thankful for when I look back at growing longer list of friends who did not make it this far. I would change little, it has been an adventure.

Last edited:
CrownandCoke said:
you got this off the UND website, I'm sure. UND has a CRJ sim that many regionals have used and liked. ASA reduces their minimums for any UND student that has gone through the CRJ program.

As for the low time, who cares? I am not making decisions in the left seat, I don't have the experience for that. I talked to a high time ASA person, who said they like hiring with low time because "we can hire you on before you have developed bad habits". 500 hours, 1500 hours, 2500 hours, who cares? I'm sick of people telling me unless I have 15000 hours I am inexperienced.

You just contradicted yourself! Face it, you ARE inexperienced.

pilotyip said:
Hey; guys are landing jets on aircraft carriers at night with less than 500 hours, time doesn't define capability.

Also, that next Lufthansa A340 or JAL777 you get on might have a 500 hour F/O up front, from ab initio programs.

There is a difference between Ability and Experience.
At my previous airline I spent 6 years training new hire F/O's as well as Captain upgrades.
For awhile we went through a period where we hired F/O's around the 500 hour mark. As far as flying skills, the majority were sharp and were glad to be where they were. They didn't have the EXPERIENCE to be a captain, but could certainly find an airport to land in case the captain died. After a couple years in the right seat, then they will have the EXPERIENCE to become a captain.
I've been an F/O on the DC-10 for just under two years flying into some of the worst ********************holes on earth, where your safety is determined more by CNN than the Weather Channel. At over 8,000TT I am more than comfortable enough to fly the aircraft in case my captain checks out, but no way would I upgrade until I get more experience in different parts of the world and the operation in general. Flying the aircraft is but a fraction of the skillset in this job. BTW this was my first jet, but didn't find anything overly difficult about it. I was glad to be there and I got out of the training exactly what I put into it.
Same ********************, but on a larger scale.

So all you "high time", "worldwise" RJ captains out there, don't forget the next move you make will once again render you the "little fish". But what you make of your training will determine your success.

Not saying everyone with 500 hours should make it. But not every 1-2000 hour guy makes it either. And no, I didn't have 500 at my first job. I'm from a time when at 2300TT I was the low timer of the class.

Last edited:
we can argue about experience till we're blue in the face.

What should be agreed upon is that it's too bad for Mesaba, with better contract, is hurting big time while PCL with not even block or better is apparently still hiring.

Latest resources

Back