• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Who Have NO Turboprop Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very good thread. I really thought I had "skipped" the whole turboprop thing as mentioned. I had 3000+ hours of total time and 5-type ratings when I found out we were getting an EMB-120. Today I have the best of both worlds in that I still fly PIC on the M.84 jet and I get to fly PIC on the "mighty bro" too. I've gotta say, the EMB-120 was the hardest type I've gotten and the plane has my respect. It's definately made me a better pilot.

Good luck Russian. Congrats on moving on to the Bro! ...and welcome to the club brother.

The "props are for boats" thing is kind of old...especially considering how bad a lawn ornament regional jets make.

Does anyone feel like they missed anything going from a 172 CFI to a part 121 two crew turboprop FO? Do you feel like you could have learned some real PIC skills by flying freight in a C421/PA31/BE58 (no a/p, no f/a, no radar, no heater, no pressurization, no paint, no captain to babysit you into the real weather) for 4-8 legs a day doing FULL approaches in non-radar by yourself through the mountains at night?
I, unfortunately, did that too. Back in the mid-90s you needed around 500 ME before the commuters would look at you. So, long before I was hired to fly the Jetstream 31 (also known as "the big leagues") I was plugging around the Southeast in a Piper Lance, and later a Cessna 402. No autopilot, no radar, no de-icing equipment that was worth a darn.

We had a weed-sprayer in back that we filled with automotive deicing fluid and used to "deice the airplane" when needed. Flew anywhere from 4 to 10 legs a night. Left at 8 pm got home about 8am. Usually had time for a few hour nap in an FBO lobby or in the back of the airplane somewhere along the way. No GPS back then. One of the airplanes had a panel-mount LORAN -- that was cherry!

I remember the day that I flew my last run and parked the airplane for the last time. I was so excited to go to J31 groundschool I couldn't contain myself. A state-of-the-art turboprop! Man was I ever excited. I had about 2100 total time and a little over 500 multi at the time.

And yes, it made me a better pilot. The experience gained flying freight, and later flying turboprops was added to the bag-of-tricks I carry with me every day. Fuel planning, descent planning, DME arcs, navigation (the old fashioned way...with charts, VORs, and on those Canadian legs... NDBs!)

But flying freight single pilot -- making decisions on my own. Flying approaches to minimums (and occasionally below i'm embarassed to say...) That was the flying that taught me the most... And it was remembering that kind of flying, and the flying we did in the commuters that made me wonder what kind of aviators the pilot-factories are spitting out these days... and whether or not those career gains were made at the expense of valuable experience.

Last edited:
What I see more of a problem than no t/P time is no real PIC time. (I am one of thise t/p captains with the low time guys in the right seat)

CFI - 121 FO then to 121 Captain is more of a strain. Good PIC making the calls before you go to 121 FO is more valuable. CFI time can be good...if you are a good CFI not someone just trying to fill a log book.

I see "qualified guys" climb in the sim and the airplane that have poor IFR skills, poor work ethic, poor situational awareness and poor airmanship. Not everyone of course but at least half of the guys.

It is not too bad if they know it and let the instructors and captains mentor and teach them. But sometimes the attitude and the holier than thou attitude makes it tough.

I see it more when they upgrade to captain and can not be taught.

Let the flame begin!

I, unfortunately, did that too. Back in the mid-90s you needed around 500 ME before the commuters would look at you. So, long before I was hired to fly the Jetstream 31 (also known as "the big leagues") I was plugging around the Southeast in a Piper Lance, and later a Cessna 402. No autopilot, no radar, no de-icing equipment that was worth a darn.

We had a weed-sprayer in back that we filled with automotive deicing fluid and used to "deice the airplane" when needed. Flew anywhere from 4 to 10 legs a night. Left at 8 pm got home about 8am. Usually had time for a few hour nap in an FBO lobby or in the back of the airplane somewhere along the way. No GPS back then. One of the airplanes had a panel-mount LORAN -- that was cherry!

I remember the day that I flew my last run and parked the airplane for the last time. I was so excited to go to J31 groundschool I couldn't contain myself. A state-of-the-art turboprop! Man was I ever excited. I had about 2100 total time and a little over 500 multi at the time.

And yes, it made me a better pilot. The experience gained flying freight, and later flying turboprops was added to the bag-of-tricks I carry with me every day. Fuel planning, descent planning, DME arcs, navigation (the old fashioned way...with charts, VORs, and on those Canadian legs... NDBs!)

But flying freight single pilot -- making decisions on my own. Flying approaches to minimums (and occasionally below i'm embarassed to say...) That was the flying that taught me the most... And it was remembering that kind of flying, and the flying we did in the commuters that made me wonder what kind of aviators the pilot-factories are spitting out these days... and whether or not those career gains were made at the expense of valuable experience.

Heck ya! Last winter I kept a car ice scraper in my flight bag to nock off the ice after a good spraying with the weed pressure sprayer. Pilot factories don't compare with real experience. I wouldn't trade the freight flying experience for anything.

I flew light piston twins for Airnet. Some tough flying. I do agree with you about all these low timers. I have a hat, and an I-pod. Back in the day, before the Vietnam War, United was hiring people with 250 hours. It's just cyclical.

Hi!

I found out about some REAL lowtimers last week. NWA was hiring guys with 0, that is "0" time in any airplane INCLUDING 0 time as a passenger!

NWA would interview and hire them. When they got their PPL and then Commercial NWA would give them a class date! Wow!

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back